Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A thought...     

A thought...

Zora
Canada

A thought...

Okay, there was a discussion yesterday about how people could not recognize their own work, also there was another discussion not long ago saying that people who loaded up other people�s work and then apologize later on are basically "liars"...

I am very disheartened to see members being so very quick to condemn another here on the board and - in public call people who have apologized "thieves"! We all make mistakes, we are human and it is very possible to upload a worksheet that isn�t yours. Also, where is the benefit of the doubt, the generosity of  saying, "Okay, no harm done..."?

I am writing this, after much debate with myself and a sleepless night,  simply because I think that somebody should defend the ones who apologise and have the courage to stand up and say "Forgive me". I think to myself that I would hate to be accused by somebody here and desperately hope that somebody would stand up in my defence if I ever had fingers pointed my way.

Also, I am glad that the people who point these fingers are lily white and have never ever made a mistake and are fit to judge others so harshly and so critically and do hope that they never do anything silly like making a mistake...

I have a little story here:

My aunt went to an ATM (back machine) to deposit her pay cheque in the bank and accidentally typed in $60,000 instead of $600. Well, the bank machine frozen her account and she had to go and personally talk to the bank. So, the next morning, feeling quite embarrassed she went into her bank and had to explain to the manager what had happened. Well, he just laughed at what happened, told her it was no big deal, and unfroze her account. Why did this happen? Well, my aunt wears bifocals (glasses) and was too lazy to put them on, she figured she could do this transaction without them because it was habit for her, she always uses the ATM for her banking...

In other words, mistakes can and do happen - maybe this member wears glasses (and wasn�t wearing them at the time), was just busy, in a rush, had a baby crying in the background , was feeling sick, was trying to quickly finishes something... and just hit the file and uploaded the worksheet without double-checking or without really looking at the screen (by the way before somebody protests - people who are not great typers - like me - look at the keyboard mostly... ) 

I think we should be a bit like my aunt�s bank, ready to forgive... because they could have charged her with bank fraud or at least gave her the runaround but they knew it was the first time that she had done a thing like that and easily forgave her, laughing off the mistake... maybe there is something to be learnt here??

21 Jan 2009      

eliana
Portugal

Hello Zora...

Thank God or any other supreme being for your aunt�s example.... That was my point exactly..... though I don�t wear glasses.....Tongue

It seems people are really stressed out and just want to pick up a fight over "nothing" sometimes...... I understand that.....we�re human afterall..

To clarify even more the situation I have loads of points that sometimes I don�t have the time to use therefore I don�t need to upload worksheets from others to gain more points...this is not a competition.... The person in question (the owner of the worksheet) already understood the situation and I already deleted the worksheets and more...I took a look to all my worksheets  in the site to see if they were all mine....

To clarify even more ...some of my worksheets have cliparts and some exercises from other worksheets (sometimes mine and others they�re copied) but when that happens I always write that in the title.....

thanks for understandingThumbs Up

Anyway thanks for your words and have a nice week

21 Jan 2009     

Apryll12
Hungary

Hi Zora!

I agree with you because mistakes do happen, that�s for sure. But unfortunately most of the reported �stolen� worksheets are really the result of someone�s eager intention to get points.

In my opinion �stolen� worksheets must be reported in ALL cases without exception. BUT: when someone realises he/she has made a mistake and stands up to say sorry and asks for our understanding, we should accept that and give the person the credit that he/she is really NOT a thief or a liar. I think these people learn a lot from their mistake and pay more attention to uploading or take extra time to check their worksheets in the future.

The problem usually arises when we call someone a thief or cheater right away without consideration and we forget that they are humans with faults, just like everyone here.

Have a nice day!

21 Jan 2009     

eliana
Portugal

Hi there...

Thanks for your wise opinion.....thanks for the support....

21 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Nicely put Zora & Kriszti69.

We should not become a kangaroo court (anyone hear echoes of The Breaker...)

People who have the courage to apologise for their error do deserve the benefit of the doubt. I�ve found the �Cow Stampede� a little extreme. I thought maybe she�d become a �bull in a china shop� somewhere in Salem.

As Victor has stated - we don�t need to post these things on the forum. All we need do is advise him on the download page (I still think a message there saying this upload is under investigation, not necessarily �stolen�... unless you can reference the original... is appropriate). This will hopefully stop any witch hunts from starting. It�s then up to him what happens from there. I�m sure he believes in innocence until guilt is proven!

eliana - there is a quote from William Shakespeare (Hamlet, if I remember correctly) which is well known to many English speakers. Please note, I am not saying you did anything deliberate - it was just a careless mistake on your behalf... but this is a common thought in many English speaking cultures (& I know it applies in many others too):

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" (often misquoted as "Methinks thou doth protesteth too much")

What this means is that by trying too hard to defend a point or action that you actually create the impression you are most likely guilty of the claims put against you.

Sometimes it may be better to say less and leave the hyenas to pick over the bones rather than giving them fresh meat...

Sorry for rambling - I think it�s got to do with my medication.

Peace, love & mung beans to you all!
ab

21 Jan 2009     

jecika
Serbia

Oh my goodness Eliana ... I don�t know how you have  the guts to talk about making unintentional mistakes ... you make them quite often ... my advice to you is to go through your worksheets one more time and check the comment I left you a few months ago ... and yesterday you were talking about being busy and tired and not knowing whether the worksheets in question were yours or not ... well ... that�s not something I want to accept ...

I also find your words addressed to another member of this site quite unbelievable and insulting ... this is what you said ...
"well Damielle...
 it happens when you have loads of things to do at the same time...it happens when you do tons of worksheets everyday......maybe one day you�ll get it or not...hope not....because that means you have a nice job that doesn�t make you crazy!!!!!!! Never work in daycare centers"

What were you thinking when posting you message? I mean ... how can you be so sure the rest of us don�t work as hard as you do???

Your braveness and courage simply amaze me.
I am not going to apologize for posting this message on the forum ... It am not doing it unintentionally or by mistake... I am sick and tired of all the "naive" contributors not familiar with the rules of the site

I honestly don�t care if this sounds rude or brings negative atmosphere to this site or if it ruins my reputation here ... further more ... If you guys think I went over the line with posting this message, just ask Victor to cancel my account ... I don�t care about that either ... I obviously have a very busy day today ... this is probably the reason why I sound so angry ... Do you think that saying "I am sorry" will make people be less shocked by this post .... I don�t think so ...  STOOOOOOP STEEEAAAALING !!!

And one more thing ... maybe it is time for you to start wearing glassess

21 Jan 2009     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

i totally agree with you jecicka !

21 Jan 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Dear colleagues!

I always learned to give the benefit of the doubt, especially to people
who apologize.
It seems "I�m sorry" are two words that are fading fast from the English
vocabulary.
It takes a lot of courage to admit to a wrong-doing.
Not many people say I�m sorry anymore.

I agree with Zora.

On the other hand, if it is an offender who, time and time again, uploads
materials that are not their own, then I agree that that person should
be reported.

But please, let�s give the benefit of the doubt before we start throwing
stones.

L

21 Jan 2009     

Mariethe House
France

PLEASE! Let�s behave like adults!!

This will end up by closing up the site! Is that what we are looking for?

It is tempting when you see a big cake to want your share ! Let us be generous and SHARE!

Someone has �stolen� a worksheet!! Why don�t we send a kind message saying we have

noticed that she / he needs some material and ask what she / he needs and suggest we

might have something to help her/ him, or someone else has , to whom she could send a

private message and ask to be sent this material through email... 

I am getting old and I am fed up with all this bickering! It is not necessary!

21 Jan 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Well, I don�t think Victor would go that far.

But I do believe we should do as Victor would like - exactly as he has stated in the thread below this one.

THAT IS.... if we report a sheet as stolen, give the reference as to where it was stolen from, then that is all we should do. It doesn�t need to be posted in the forum or trampled/tracked down by the Cow Sheriff. He�ll follow up with appropriate action - removal of upload or banning of member when he feels it is appropriate.

So everyone should stop noting these worksheets, accusing members or defending/providing excuses in the forum!

Regards,
ab

21 Jan 2009     

atsitab
Portugal

Dear Zora,

I was so happy to read your post today! I thought I was the only one thinking that way.  You know, it�s hard for me to read some people�s harsh words here! And it�s hard for me to think that these people are educating children, the men of tomorrow.  How can they educate them with the values of politeness, friendship, tolerance and forgiveness if they spend all their valuable time looking for other people�s erros, mistakes, faults, and so on.
Don�t take me wrong.  I hate seeing that somebody�s work has been used and uploaded by another teacher,  what I don�t like is the tonne of some comments and posts I have been reading here.
Please, let�s be polite and kind. When other people do wrong things, lets show them we maintain our dignity and education.

Thank you Zora for your words.  They made me feel much happier today!

21 Jan 2009     

1    2    Next >