Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > New Word of the Day    

New Word of the Day

MarionG
Netherlands

New Word of the Day

Come and play, come and play!!
Here is the new word of the day!!
Everyone can join the fun!

For those new to the game:
The idea is to prodvide an alternative meaning for the word.
(NOT the real meaning, some of you have huge vocabularies, some less, some know how to use a dictionary, some know how to search the net. All of us can find out the real meaning of the word fairly easily....)
The idea is to tickle your silly bone, make up an alternative meaning: It can be silly or serious, based on knowledge of other languages, or not be related in any way to anything, just your associative thinking.
Just an excuse to play a bit with language and have some fun..

The word for today is: LIPOGRAM

COME ON, GIVE IT YOUR BEST AND BRING A SMILE TO THE FORUM!

8 Jan 2013      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

LIPOGRAM: At a boisterous party --- when your lips round into a romantic �O�, telegramming a silent caress across the crowd, to the lips of the love of your life.

8 Jan 2013     

htunde
Hungary

Its easy! Everyone who is overweight knows that lipo means fat. So LIPOGRAM = the diagram showing the changes of your body fat. Mine unfortunately goes like this:

8 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

lip-lip
OG- Original Gangster (Rapper /actor Ice-T �s 4th album)
ram-ram (as in to hit very hard)

Lipogram--what you get when you make Ice-T mad.

8 Jan 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

You �ve heard of octomom, well a lipogram is a grandmother who has had fat removed from her body through a procedure where thin tube is attached to a vacumn cleaner and inserted under the skin and turned on to full suction power thereby removing said fat cells and whatever else might be under the skin. Ed

8 Jan 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Lipogram is the metric system unit used to measure the size of the botox lips.

8 Jan 2013     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

Is it a telegram from this lady....  Maureen Lipman - http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01238/maureen-lipman_1238298c.jpg

8 Jan 2013     

douglas
United States

Clap Love it Ed!!

8 Jan 2013     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

LIPOGRAM

A new grammatical term recently invented by Les Douglas to describe people who use a lot of redundancies. Wink 

ascincoquinas, LOL

8 Jan 2013     

melinaki
Greece

Thanks for the explanation concerning the game. Now I know! I thought we had to give the real meaning of the word.

8 Jan 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

@ Ed, aarrrhgg, my god, where did you find that picture?? I have to admit my first associations went to liposuction and grams as well, thank god I am the poster so I don �ty have to enter... I need to look at this picture everytime I feel bad about my body...

8 Jan 2013     

1    2    Next >