Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

Thank you Alex, for choosing my definition of parsimonious. As I �ve been looking for words, I realise that I am married to a cockolorum - a small, haughty man LOL. I �ve told you that definition now, so I can �t use it.

Your new WOD is: 

C A L L I T H U M P I A N.

What can it be? Bird, fish, mammal, adjective, noun????Let �s see your suggestions! 

26 Jan 2013      

sarguero
Spain

WHAT HAS THAT MAN GOT ON HIS BACK?

CALL     IT      HUMP .... So a man with a hump on his back  is called a CALLITHUMPIAN

26 Jan 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Actually, callithumpian is a noun and it means "under attack from a primate" whether it is a monkey, ape, gorilla or chimp. Legend has it that this word originated back in the 70s when man had a fascination with training chimps and teaching them how to "talk" through cards & symbols. One such researcher was Ian Mc Himp. His favorite 2 Chimps were Calli & Balli. One day during a session Calli turned on the researcher and attacked him. Balli ran screeching for help and through cards and symbols the other researchers were able to decode: Calli - thump - Ian The research community adopted this word which become widespread as more people came under primate attack :)

26 Jan 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Actually it �s a mushy-mooshy dish with which you want to impress and intrigue your husband who is calling you on his way home from work asking if he should grab that delish pizza from Mario �s for supper and you say, "Nope, hun, no need. I �ve cooked callithumpian for supper" and BTW you �ve just come up with this name bc firstly, calli comes from cauliflower you �ve accidentally found in your fridge when cleaning, secondly you thumped it hoping it would fit in the garbage bin you �ve just filled with all the goodies from your fridge (they were way past that date you know) and as it didn �t fit you looked at it from a different point of view: it �s still a veg, it �s healthy, right? and finally you added ian as this suffix sounds so idigenous of some remote exotic place that you �ve always dreamed of visiting... Anyways, with a creamy sauce and some garlic and herbs it couldn �t taste that bad after all...right?

Sophia

26 Jan 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Sophia, callithumpian sounds delicious! I �m serving it tonight! Can you imagine the cockolorum �s face when he says �What �s for dinner, my sweet? � and I say, �callithumpian. � LOL 

27 Jan 2013     

perlittah
Tunisia

As one of the meanings of hump is "a fit of depression then...
-Wife: What �s happening dear? You look so..so...so ...scared! Your face is washed white....telll me what�s going on...you look as if you saw a ghost...
-Husband: oh my god ...even worse I saw a callithumpian....coming out of a spaceship..Were lost...It �s going to be hell on earth...DZZ......DZZ...Dzzzz...
-Wife:  dear dear wake up it �s a nightmare.... it �s time for your new antidepressant "callithumpian" the best you�ve ever had ...with no side effects...call it champion!!!!!!!!

27 Jan 2013     

Mariethe House
France

A callipygian is a woman with: greek calli: beauty and pyg : bottom so  with a beautiful bottom
so a callithumpian is from the greek calli : beauty and thump from the Swedish dialectal dumpa "to make a noise". Therefore my definition is:
Beautifully making noises in the Swedish manner?Unhappy
Sorry Lynne! Heven �t got much imagination this morning!

27 Jan 2013