Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > HELP PLEASE Assignments for preschoolers    

HELP PLEASE Assignments for preschoolers

PaulG
Costa Rica

HELP PLEASE Assignments for preschoolers

Hello everyone. Can somebody help me please? The thing is, I teach a course called Pockets at a language institute. This course is for preschoolers who don �t know how to read or write. I �ve been doing fine up until now, but now my boss is telling me that he wants me to give them homework. The thing is, though, what kind of homework can I give them? I mean, I can �t ask them to read, because they can �t read. I can �t ask them to write, because they don �t write. I can �t ask them to prepare a presentation because the course is way too basic for something like that. The only thing I can really do is have them draw something, but I �m NOT going to leave them that kind of assignment because that has nothing to do with language, so it �s not significant... So what can I do?

26 Jan 2013      

xiancee
France

What about taping them? You can use a small recorder or even a telephone, there are usually vocal memo functions on them ...

26 Jan 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Try with a DOT TO DOT  picture where they can use a pencil to follow the order of the numbers to discover an animal (for example) . The homework will continue in class with any of these questions .

What animal have you found?
What colours have you used to colour the animal?
Is this your favourite animal? Which one is it?
Have you got a pet?  Draw it

You can introduce simple SHAPES in class too (squares, rectangles, triangles....) and as a homework they have to cut the shapes to make a robot or monster sticking the shapes, the next day they �ll show their works in class and they can speak about the shapes, colours, number of pieces.... or whatever you considered interesting.

You can use TRACERS with LETTERS and introduce the ALPHABET in class so they can recognize the letters step by step on the following classes and make spelling drills in class (oral)

You can use MATCH exercises where they can match images with a colour and then tell you the name of the colours or the animals they found.

P.E.  A worksheet with circles coloured with the colours you are teaching on the left and coloured animals on the right. Then they have to match these circles with an animal with the SAME COLOUR (the next day they speak about this animal: What animal is it, how is the body... big, small, short, long...., how many legs they�ve got...... )

Another good resource is to use STICKERS and they have to recognize different things

P.E .... Give them animal stickers and they have to classify them in groups birds, mammals, fish, insects....

Give them PLASTICINE to make an animal, monster, robot... at home and the next day use it to speak about.

Another resource is PAPERDOLLS .   They cut the clothes choosing the proper ones for the doll and the next day you can speak about them in class.

About the topic Weather, you can show them a worksheet with drawings or stickers:  sunny, cloudy, rain... and another one with the days of the week where they have to make a weather report for the whole week sticking everyday weather pictures, so that they are learning DAYS OF THE WEEK and THE WEATHER at the same time.

26 Jan 2013     

anitarobi
Croatia

Can you involve parents in a way? For instance, a simple crossword is easy to do if the child has to tell the word for a picture to the parent, and then the parent has to write the word down (you can supply word lists for parents to check). That can work, I �ve tried. 
Btw, if the picture and coloring worksheets are linked to the comprehension of a story or song you did in class, then don �t consider it not related to English. For instacne, if you did a story and then supplied a series of illustrations related to it but jumbled and the children have to cut and paste them in the order of the story - that �s comprehension. Or matching two lists of items (use pics and words in capital letters) - e.g. if you talked about clothing items certain characters have, then the kids can match the pics to the characters. Of course, you can also link the tasks to audio-material as xiancee suggested - they listen to it and do a picture-based task according to instructions.

26 Jan 2013     

alex1968
Greece

What about giving them ws that are to do with motor skills? There is a lot of stuff available on the net. Another option would be to give them letters of the alphabet to colour or even to write on top of (guided writing/ tracing) and perhaps draw a picture that begins with that letter. www.first-school.ws is a good site for ideas & ws. You could get the kids to prepare flash cards (colour them in at home)that you �d like to use in class :)

26 Jan 2013     

setenay
Turkey

I think, parent �s involvement will help you. you can prepare homework related to the topics you �ve been teaching during the week. And you can write some tips for parents to inform them about the homework. on one side of the paper you give the homework on the other side of the same paper you give the information. at home the parents become the teachers. for example you want your kids to practice new vocabulary items. on one side you put the pictures of that related words. kids listen to their parents and colour accordingly. teddy bear is brown. ball is red. yo-yo is yellow etc. you can give these instructions to the parents on the other side of the same paper. hope it helps you...

26 Jan 2013     

xani
Portugal

Hi Paul!

Have a look at these worksheets: 

I �ve been creating similar resources for my site and already used them with my preschoolars. They loved them!

Hugs,

xani 

26 Jan 2013     

ellakass
Israel

This can help you I think:
http://www.preschoollearners.com/

26 Jan 2013     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Thanks for all your answers!!! A lot of the techniques mentioned here will definitely help me a lot. Smile

1 Feb 2013