Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > receptionist    

receptionist

fofinho
Portugal

receptionist

Hello everybody!! Soon, I �m going to teach adults who pretend to became receptionists. Can anybody share some ideas how to work it?Thanks a lot in advance!!!

31 Jan 2013      

MoodyMoody
United States

Of course, the students will be practicing answering the phone and greeting guests or customers. Make sure they have the proper greetings. They will also need words and phrases for some of the more common problems they are likely to encounter. This will be different from setting to setting. The words used in a hotel, a doctor �s office, and a business office will be different.

I suggest that you have the students also practice taking messages. Pair up your students, have them sit back to back (as if they were on the phone), and have one be the caller and the other the receptionist taking the message. Make sure the "receptionist" gets all the important information during the phone call. Use a form like this, or make your own with Word.

31 Jan 2013     

EstherLee76
Peru

Maybe you could watch some movies that have receptionists characters.  I �m thinking of "Devil Wears Prada".  Hathaway �s character was always on the phone, dealing with clients and a boss, etc. using phrases like "Hold for Miranda, please" and so on.

31 Jan 2013     

dennismychina
China

That �s a good idea Elaine. John Cleese �s BBC television series, "Fawlty Towers" comes to mind. Certainly as a how not to do it  lesson. :-)

Fofino
You might find something useful here..... http://www.englishformyjob.com/ell_hotelindustry.html
Enjoy.

31 Jan 2013     

gigique
Portugal

There are great books such as Be my guest, Highly recommended and Welcome. These were the books i used to teach my students in the vocational course T�cnico de rece��o - hotelaria e turismo . There are a lot os sites too, especially for listening comprehension:
* englishforthehotelhospitality
* englishfor my job
*audioenglishnet
*englishtest.mobl/ET/TOEIC
*linguatv
*wwwbusinessenglish

Hope this will help you.

1 Feb 2013