Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day 02/02/2013    

Word of the Day 02/02/2013

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Word of the Day 02/02/2013

Thank you, MoodyMoody, for choosing me as the Winner of the Competition.

Here is the new WORD for the weekend.

WIDDERSHINS

Please, post your �incorrect �, �inexact �, �in actual fact �, definitions.

Let them be Pun or Poetry; Fun or Fantasy; Nonsense or Nonentity.

The Competition endeavours to be enjoyable, educational. and entertaining.  It achieves this by activating academic ability, imparting intriguing information, and wangling wonderful witticisms, regarding the false meanings of words which are true, (and not meaning to regard the true words as false).

In other words --- IT �S A BIT OF FUN.

Les Douglas

1 Feb 2013      

dutchboydvh
Singapore

This is a Scottish colloquialism.  It refers to someone who looks TERRIBLE in a kilt, due to their ugly legs.

1 Feb 2013     

perlittah
Tunisia

A widdershins is a a female monster how lost her husband in the battle against Grendel �s father. She is huge, wide-shouldered and has wooden legs. When she comes she looks as if she escapes. This trick made her win the revenge battle against grendel �s father. He thought she was running away while she was heading towards him. She grabbed, twisted and squeezed him like a lemon with her wooden legs till finishing him. From then  this expression was used for victorious warriors, and now it is used for Pro Wrestling Champions : ladies and gentlemen The 2012 Widdershins  is ...Black Turmoil.....

2 Feb 2013     

sarguero
Spain

John Travolta and Meg Ryan have got WIDER CHINS than me

Note for ESL teachers: Wider chins correct pronunciation is WIDDERSHINS

2 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@ perlittah - do you need therapy? WinkLOL

2 Feb 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

It is just a touch more serious than a white lie...
widder (etymology; Dutch: witter - whiter)
shins (shunning sins)

Much like a white lie (the well-intended untruth) , a widdershin is a harmless sin.
Since  a white lie pertains to speaking only and a widdershin involves acting as well, it is generally considered a little more serious and extra care should be taken to shun real sin.

2 Feb 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Since I had the last Word of the Day, I know I won �t be chosen this time, but here I go anyway: widdershins means unshaven legs on a woman.

This comes from "widder," which is a dialectical form of widow used in Appalachian areas of the USA. It is more commonly used as the collocation "widder woman" but not in this instance. "Shins," of course, is the standard word for the front lower part of the leg, the tibia.

Now a widow, especially a new widow like my mother, really has little reason to shave her legs if she wears pants all the time. So people call a woman �s unshaven legs "widdershins."

(By the way, I recognize this word without Googling it. I �ve heard this word used in role-playing games as well.)

2 Feb 2013     

perlittah
Tunisia

@cunliffe is it wit or sarcasm?...Don �t worry I �m as normal as you, aren �t you? :):):)

2 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Oh no, perlittah, I think your definition is brilliant! It made me laugh out loud, it is so off the beam! That �s my kind of humour. 

I am still thinking of a definition, but hey, if you �re as normal as me, you are in serious trouble!WinkLOL 

Lynne

2 Feb 2013     

perlittah
Tunisia

I know dear colleague. I laughed too. I was also joking. Yes indeed,  I �m as normal as you....hhhhhh But no serious trouble...It �s a therapy..........an antistress therapy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2 Feb 2013     

Jayho
Australia

To widdershin means to get your own back

Lizbeth Salander is an  example of a widdershinner- she really widdershins anyone that physically attacks her. 

2 Feb 2013