Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "WORD of the DAY" Competition, 10/02/2013, WINNER    

"WORD of the DAY" Competition, 10/02/2013, WINNER

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"WORD of the DAY" Competition, 10/02/2013, WINNER

Dear Members,

On this occasion, the entries which defined "Misodactakleidist" caused me to smile, chuckle, laugh, puzzle, frown, grimace, and finally, to almost sob in sentimental sympathy with your wonderful word-pictures.

You have demonstrated to all of us how very different are the many viewpoints that each of us has of the life which surrounds us.

The definitions were heart-breaking, heart-warming, or heart-burning, depending on the reader �s point of view. 

From Tunisia, the WINNER is Mohamedthabet.

Congratulations.  Over to you, Mohamedthabet.

Les Douglas

12 Feb 2013      

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

new word of the day                          "discombobulator
Thank you Les for choosing my " explanation" as the winner.  I in fact just meant to take  part in the competition. So I neither checked who won it nor thought of a possible contribution.

Thanks again dear Les;  and as I have now to suggest a new word, here it is "discombobulator" I hope it inspires ESL teachers to concoct their own definitions by combining the word ingredients.

13 Feb 2013     

miyoko71
Morocco

" discombobulator" is composed of two words:discomb and obulator which is derived from oblate.so discombobulator refers to someone who doesn �t care about  combing his or her hair because he or she  is devoting his/her time to religious life.
Have a good day

miyoko71

13 Feb 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Discombobulator = This comb ovulator 

Female comb who has got the menstrual cycle every 28 days per month.

13 Feb 2013     

balot27
Tunisia

some one who separates or isolates steel from other metals in ancient turkish and kazakhs civilzations
dis=apart
combo=combination
bulat=steel
or=someone who

14 Feb 2013     

isa2
Austria

a divine (=Latin: inflected form of deus = dis) music band (=combo) playing a welcome song in Fiji  (Bula = hello in Fiji)

14 Feb 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Engineer George Ferris a Pennsylvania USA native, whose birthday happens to be today, was the  inventor of the Ferris Wheel. Few though know of his lesser known invention the combobulator. The combobulator was a machine used in hair salons during the mid 1900s. The combobulator was used to treat women �s hair and make the hair luxuriously curly. Unfortunately it was later found that the combobulator had disastrous after effects causing many of its users to loose their hair. Thus Mr. Ferris had to invent a machine to counter the effects of the combobulator and so the discombobulator came to be. Ed

14 Feb 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

WORD OF THE DAY, 13 Feb 2013, WINNER

Not many members have yet posted entries defining the word "discombobulator", but I feel I have now to choose a winner.

Congratulations, edromedina,You are the WINNER of the COMPETITION

I have appreciated your history-based definition of the word.

I also thank the other entrants. They have all offered witty and funny entries.

It �s your turn now, edromedina,  to submit a WORD of the DAY to the Forum, and then choose a WINNER.

mohamedthabet

15 Feb 2013