Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Educational websites blocked in school!    

Educational websites blocked in school!

Missbrittany
France

Educational websites blocked in school!

Hello everyone!

I �d like to know if we are the only ones in France to suffer from the narrowmindedness of the people who rule our internet.
My latest example: I �d been working on the wonderful website that is http://www.classtools.net   for weeks (it allows your students to create fake Facebook pages of any character) and my students loved it. From one day to the next, the site was blocked at our school. And there is nothing I can do about it.  It had nothing to do with the real Facebook, it was an excellent tool for students... but we can �t work on it anymore. And we are asked to use the new technologies as much as possible!
I would love to learn of your experiences concerning your use of the internet in class!

18 Feb 2013      

MarionG
Netherlands

I don �t have internet access at all in class (no computers either, nor TV.....) here in Jerusalem

18 Feb 2013     

ss73
Turkey

Accept for facebook, we have access to the internet... I find it so useful...

18 Feb 2013     

ellakass
Israel

I have computer lab at school, 4 computers for pupils in my English room and 1 for me and Internet access except sites that are really not for pupils. It �s an elementary school...

18 Feb 2013     

orly100
Israel

We have free access to the internet most of the sites are not blocked.
Not even facebook but the students are not allowed to enter the site.
http://www.classtools.net  is really great and I �m sorry to hear that it was blocked in your school.
Orly

18 Feb 2013     

Pelletrine
France

;o) Maybe we should just write to the �Inspection Acad�mique � of our region: it is easy to prove it is an educational site. Haven �t tried yet: but would love to use the fake book: the site is great, have already used it for my Euro- class.
... I beleave we CAN get sites back, proving they ARE for school use ;o)

It �s very frustating indeed............ supposed to protect kids.

let �s try: I �ll write after winter holidays: we could keep in touch about this issue. First of all, I will ask our resourse teachers at school when we come back (zone �b �)

take care
pelletrine

18 Feb 2013     

Pelletrine
France

....once got a terrible �red � sign on my classroom screen, telling me that I had nothing to do on this site ( it was the British Health Department !!!!!)
... oh, it was terrible indeed: it was their program for sexual education of early teens ... it was great!!! but alas: the word �sex � was on it .... so, censured off, right away..,. I gave up...
But, I do asure you it was interesting and really proper for 11-15 years old (that was their target.... absolutely no �disgusting � things   Ermm  Just points on being safe ... for KIDS!! ... it would have been a really good debate with my 3e !!!

18 Feb 2013     

karagozian
France

Same problem in my school. I stopped investigating about allowed or not allowed sites as they  changed All the time and much of my material is based on the net. So, i bougt my own computer and started downloading like a mad. This took me ages but i feel now efficient and autonomous. Also bougt � video projecter,white board etc......, eraser, markers ....., just everything. I have my own connection now too. I don �t need to ask anymore. I feel free ..... . But not everybody CAN afford doing this.

19 Feb 2013     

Missbrittany
France

I don �t think having my own computer would change anything since the whole school network is monitered! I couldn �t have my own connection, and it wouldn �t help much as I want all the students to be able to work on the website!

19 Feb 2013     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Here in Spain we have the same problem. Every student has a laptop but we don �t have access to many pages which are really educational or interesting for our students and have nothing wrong in them.
Yolanda

19 Feb 2013     

madamev
France

Don �t you have someone working on IT and on the network in your school? A resource teacher of some kind? He / she may have a solution, I often resort to this person when I want to use a website that is blocked, and he manages to unblock it so that I can use it in class.

It �s necessary to protect the kids but it is sometimes a pain. If you send anything to the Inspection let me know, I �d be glad to help! (I  live in Brittany)

19 Feb 2013     

1    2    Next >