Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Huge Grammar mistake! in Ginpachi sensei wksheet    

Huge Grammar mistake! in Ginpachi sensei wksheet

marciadnr
Portugal

Huge Grammar mistake! in Ginpachi sensei wksheet

Sorry, but what you are forming is the Present Participle.
The Present Continuous is Verb to BE in the Present Simple + Present PAeticiple of the main verb.
E.G. I AM + WRITING

23 Jan 2009      

LuciaRaposo
Portugal

What worksheet is that?

23 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Good afternoon M�rcia! You�re right when you say it is not the Pesent Continuous Tense, but I believe the contributor didn�t mean to say that, either, because in his description we can read that he wants to help pupils "to form present continuous verbs (notice, not tenses) by adding -ing suffix". So, what he wants his students  to learn is the -ing form of the verbs, or the Present Participle, as you have said, and the exercise he chose proves that. 

Now my  question is:   May it so happen that according to some linguistic theories which I am not familiar with (American, Australian for example) use that terminology -"Present Continuous Verbs" - instead of "Present Participles"? If anyone knows the answer, I would really like to know.

A nice day to you all!
mena

23 Jan 2009