Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > a doubt    

a doubt

Urpi
Peru

a doubt

Which is correct to say:

A majority of the class is /are boys

thanks

27 Feb 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

The majority of the class are boys. In cases like this, I always prefer the plural agreement e.g the team are happy....

Lynne

27 Feb 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The majority of the class are boys.
Sophia

@Lynne: must have been posting at the same time.

27 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

@Sophia: at least we agree!

27 Feb 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Ladies, allow me to disagree now that you �ve agreed to agreeWink

In cases like this I use the singular....

A majority is....

BTW, Urpi, we don �t usually say "a  doubt" but "a question"Smile

27 Feb 2013     

Urpi
Peru

thanks so much 

27 Feb 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Alex, you have put the cat among the pigeons! I think there is an element of personal choice here. However, a straw poll conducted among the intelligentsia demonstrated that a growing majority prefer (not prefers!)Wink the plural agreement. 

...And at least Urpi didn �t say, �I have a doubt � which is a red rag to a bull for certain members here, who shall remain nameless!!!

27 Feb 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Right you are LynneHandshake

�Majority� is one of those words that can be either singular or plural. Common sense works pretty well in deciding which. If you mean the word to describe a collection of individuals, then the word should be treated as plural: �The majority of e-mail users are upset about the increase in spam.� If the word is used to describe a collective group, then consider it singular: �A 90% majority is opposed to scheduling the next meeting at 6:00 A.M.� If you are uncertain which you mean, then choose whatever form sounds best to you; it �s not likely to bother many people.

�Majority� should be used only with countable nouns: �he ate the majority of the cookies,� but not �he ate the majority of the pie.� Instead say, �he ate most of the pie.�

27 Feb 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

But majority tends to be used with the singular agreement when it stands alone, as in "the majority elects the candidate it wants" - although it�s not that difficult to make an argument for the plural verb. It�s usually when we see it followed by of + plural that we expect a plural verb.

@alex1968  There �s an interesting section in Merriam-Webster �s Dictionary of English Usage which refers to the word being discouraged when applied to �something regarded as not countable � but reminds us that this attitude �appears to be the residuum of an older aversion to the use of majority for anything that does not vote. �

28 Feb 2013