Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Doubt !!    

Doubt !!

Camilla_2008
Brazil

Doubt !!

Hey guys...

I�d like to ask you if you could help me out with a doubt that has been bugging me and my workmates for quite a while now.

If I want to say that a woman is attractive, I can say that she�s either beautiful or pretty, right? (I know there are other ways of saying it, but my doubt is concerning these two words.)

Confused The thing is: which one of them expresses a higher degree of beauty? I mean, which one will say that the woman is "more attractive" : beautiful or pretty?

I hope I made myself clear...

Thanks for the help...

Camilla

25 Jan 2009      

mena22
Portugal

According to the Oxford dictionary, "attractive" has a sexual connotation. A woman can be attractive and not at all beautiful! We often here that kind if comment. Hope I could help.

25 Jan 2009     

Helen McK
Ireland

Hello, Smile

In my opinion, "beautiful"  is a stronger adjective than "pretty".

Helen

25 Jan 2009     

Camilla_2008
Brazil

Thanks, I just wanted to explain the doubt, Sorry if I used the wrong word... My question is which one shows that the woman is more good-looking...

25 Jan 2009     

mena22
Portugal

For me,  "beautiful" is definitely the strongest word, like helen said!!   

Have a good night.

25 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Beautiful is stronger bc it means the woman has this such a pleasent to senses thing and attractive to the mind when looking at her while a pretty woman is attractice without being very beautiful.

I could also say that a beautiful women is an adjective that goes a little further than just the physicall appearance. And pretty could be for example ��a  pretty face�� it means good physical face feature.

So yeah ��beautiful�� is a lot stronger.

25 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

"beautiful" is the word that came to mind when you stopped for three seconds staring with an open mouth, thought in your mind "WOW!" and then needed three more seconds to even begin to be able to be aware of your surroundings.

"pretty" is what you said to try to play-down the fact that you lost your senses for those 6+ seconds.

"beautiful" is definately the stronger of the two.

Douglas

25 Jan 2009     

GraceD
Sweden

Beautiful is definitely the more powerful of the two. Beautiful can be all-encompassing, for example, she could be a beautiful person on the inside as well- you can�t be a pretty person on the inside, it doesn�t make sense.
As far as attractive is concerned; you can be attracted to people as friends, in fact, we are attracted to our friends personalities in a non-physical or sexual way.

Take care!
Greer

25 Jan 2009     

Mar (itxasobcn)
Spain

Douglas, lovely explanation!!! LOL

25 Jan 2009     

Camilla_2008
Brazil

Thank you all for the help !!! Big smile

25 Jan 2009     

jom-mar
Israel

hey ,
i�m a new member in this site and i feel like home, it�s really comfortable here and i would like to contribute in this forum because i found it challenging:
well here is my answer:
Pretty, in my opinion, it aimed more on looks, more facial, and special features like how they have their hair pinned up, make-up, or just having pretty face.

Beautiful, is just so much more than pretty, beautiful is like inside and out. Beauty is more on the whole look of the person, and usually they�re beautiful inside, which means that they have a lovely personality. Beauty comes from within. Where�s pretty is normally just based on the face.

Well yeah, that�s what I think.

The dictionary defines them differently.

Pretty: pleasing or attractive to the eye, as by delicacy or gracefulness: a pretty face.

Beautiful: having beauty; having qualities that give great pleasure or satisfaction to see, hear, think about, etc.; delighting the senses or mind: a beautiful dress; a beautiful speech.

hope i clarified my self and reached the point i wanted to reach
thanks alot
jomana

25 Jan 2009