Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > how to get fluency in your speaking    

how to get fluency in your speaking

mercader11
Venezuela

how to get fluency in your speaking

Please all the suggestions are welcome and the more the better because gathering all the relevant information you are about to give me I am sure I will get a lot of useful ideas to be used with some of my ss. What do you suggest to help ss in a intermediate level who have got a high number of words learned but they haven �t got the fluency to speak when they are in a conversation.  They know several structures in english, they study words and words but sometimes they feel sort of frustrated when it comes to speaking fluently. I always encourage them to read and read more on account of having this activity as the most useful tool to help them speak as they want but maybe I am omitting sth or simply my vantage point is not correct and you have better ideas. Thanks to everybody in advance.

25 Mar 2013      

yanogator
United States

I would suggest lots of writing, because it gives them practice in expressing themselves without the pressure of keeping a conversation going.

Also, reading out loud will help them with the flow of their speech, so it �s more about fluidity than fluency, but it is related.

Bruce

25 Mar 2013     

alexcure
Poland

It also helps to give the students some short speeches to prepare at home and then to produce in class. I used to give each student a small task, like the following one: 

CULTURE TOPICS for the STUDENTS to prepare as a short oral presentation, I cut 50 pieces of paper with one entry, each student draws one or more, depending on the number of students in one group, and their task is to SEARCH for SHORT EXPLANATION of the subject on the INTERNET or elsewhere. Their task is to be able to explain the topic orally in front of the class and also to print as many copies of it as there are students in the group, and after the short presentation in front of the class, each student sticks the explanation into his/her mates� copy books. The teacher, obviously, checks the info and corrects if necessary. You can make the list longer if you wish... I also ask the students to add a small picture into their print that represents the entry they have drawn - if it is possible of course (as in the ws). Then the teacher can ask other students what they remembered, for example: What is the Buckingham Palace? In this way the students practice speaking skills and also improve their knowledge about the British/American culture (which can help them with a vast variety of quizzes). 

1.Independence Day 2. April Fool�s Day 3. Bank holiday 4. Bed and breakfast (B&B) 5.Boxing Day 6.Buckingham Palace 7. Capitol 8. Chip shop 9. Downing Street 10. Guy Fawkes� Day 11. Hallowe�en 12. Jumble sale 13 Lollipop man/lady 14 L-plates 15 National Trust 16 Off-licence 17 Open University 18 Oval Office 20 Pantomime 21 Prom (USA, GB) 22 Pub 23 Quality press 24 Tabloid press 25 Thanksgiving (Day) 26 Middlebrow 27 Highbrow 28 Lowbrow 29 Union Jack 30 Pancake Day 31 Deerstalker (hat), 32. The Old Bill 33. The Cabinet 34. St. David�s Day 35 St. Patrick�s Day 36 St. Andrew�s Day 37 St. George�s Day 38 Sororities and Fraternities 39 Bank holiday 40. Humpty Dumpty 41. Salvation Army 42. Beef-eater 43 Tower Bridge 44 London  Eye 45.Eisteddfod 46. Edinburgh Festival 47.Highland games 48.Public school 49.Eton College 50 Welfare state 51.The Commonwealth of Nations ..

25 Mar 2013     

Mariethe House
France

Just type : speaking at busy teacher.org and you will get lots of ideas, like the ones below:

http://busyteacher.org/1772-jobs-taboo.html

http://busyteacher.org/10274-what-every-speaking-teacher-needs-to-know.html

26 Mar 2013     

IbuLulu
Australia

I think speaking is a skill just like swimming or other skills - the  more you practise, the better you get.  They need to practise speaking in English frequently - I like to do games or information gap activities where they become more focused on the task than the language structures, therefore more fluent (albeit with mistakes) and less likely to get hung up on their grammar etc.

26 Mar 2013     

cindyfreksen
Denmark

You say that they know a lot of words. but I wonder if the problem is that they don �t know how to use the words! I would recommend that they are given opportunities to use acquired vocabulary. For example I like to use pictures where students have to talk about them - the weaker students can just describe what they see, whilst the more advanced student can analyse the picture. 

Here is a site where you can read some theories on language acquisition - There are some ideas for teaching too. (the articles are in English)

Sprogforum

I hope that helps
Cindy

26 Mar 2013     

mjpa
Spain

Why don�t you try "easy" conversational games where they can start feeling confident and help them to speak more and more each time? Some games which work wonderfully for me are sometimes the easiest ones like who is who, taboo or trying to guess animals/jobs/famous people first just by asking yes/ no questions and later asking other type of questions.
eg. You think on an animal and asking yes/no questions they have to guess it. (is it big? /does it eat meat?/ does it live in the jungle?/ can it fly?....) Battleship games are also useful.
PD: Who is who is a favourite of my students in any level

26 Mar 2013