Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I can´t wait to do nothing OR I can´t wait to do anything?    

I can´t wait to do nothing OR I can´t wait to do anything?

regina. di
Brazil

I can´t wait to do nothing OR I can´t wait to do anything?

Hello everyone,
A student asked me sth and I got in doubt. Could you help me? Which one is the correct?

I can�t wait to do nothing.
I can�t wait to do anything.

Cheers,
Regina. 

4 Apr 2013      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Actually neither of those statements is correct.
The correct statement would be:
I can �t do anything.
or
I can do nothing (about it). 
But the two sentences will have a different meaning.

I can �t do nothing. is considered grammatically incorrect but it is used in spoken language almost exclussively by African Americans.

BTW to never goes after can

Sophia

4 Apr 2013     

GZTeacher
China

Regina -

Both of these are wrong. You don �t need the "to". The correct sentence would be "I can �t do anything."

4 Apr 2013     

conceicaooliveira
Portugal

None of them is correct.
After a modal verb comes a bare infinitive and when the sentence is negative anything is the correct one as there isn �t double negative in English.
So, the correct one is : "I can �t do anything".

Hope I �ve helped!
Concei��o

4 Apr 2013     

zailda
Brazil

"I can �t to do nothing" is incorrect because:
we don �t use two negatives in the same statement 
after can the verb comes in the infinitive without "to"

I can �t to do anything" is incorrect because after can the verb comes in the infinitive without "to".

We can either say:

I can do nothing.
 or
I can �t do anything.

Have a nice day!

Zailda

4 Apr 2013     

Argentina

HI REGINA, THE CORRECT ONE IS .... I CAN �T DO ANYTHING OR I CAN DO NOTHING.
    GOOD LUCK.

4 Apr 2013     

regina. di
Brazil

Guys,
My mistake!! The sentences were:
I can �t wait to do nothing.
I can �t wait to do anything.

4 Apr 2013     

nilka
Turkey

I can �t wait without doing anything.

4 Apr 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Oh, that �s a different story:)
What do you think your student meant by that?did your student mean that soon he/she will be on holidays and he/she just can �t wait to do nothing, so he/she is really looking forward to doing nothing while he/she is on holiday?
Sophia

4 Apr 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I think I can explain the way out of all the confusion. Neither of the original two sentences were correct. The "I can �t wait to..." part is perfectly fine. You can �t follow with "nothing," because, as zailda points out, that �s a double negative, which we don �t use in English. If your student really is looking forward to doing nothing, the sentence would be ambiguous and most English speakers would interpret it as a mistake.

However, you also can �t use "anything" because the "to do" part of the sentence is affirmative; the negative is on the modal and main verb, not the infinitive phrase. We use "any" only for negative and interrogative sentences/clauses/phrases.

So, the correct sentence is: "I can �t wait to do something." Or, your student could also say, "I look forward to doing nothing."

4 Apr 2013     

regina. di
Brazil

Thanks for the replies!!!

ueslteacher That �s exactly what  my student meant. He is looking forward to doing nothing while on holiday. So he said "I can �t wait to do anything while on holiday" and  I corrected him and said "I can �t wait to do nothing". However, I was not so sure if that (I �m looking forward to doing nothing while on holiday) could be said using  "I can �t wait to do nothing".

Cheers

4 Apr 2013     

1    2    Next >