Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > word of the day    

word of the day

MarionG
Netherlands

word of the day

Thank you Dar for choosing me as the winner of the WOD!
I hope by now everyone understood I was just joking, wouldn �t want people thinking I really thought you were out of line. Wink

OK, here is the new word for you to RE-define (not  the real meaning!)

opprobrium

Have fun!

6 Apr 2013      

elderberrywine
Germany

opprobrium is a euphemism for a part of a male body which has been acquired through painstaking and laborious eating and drinking.

You could name the object it stands for potbelly or paunch or beer belly, but my great-uncle Augustus, who taught me the word when I was a child, was a distinguished man and would never have used such a primitive word for such serious business.

6 Apr 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Please, those of you who are easily offended do not read beyond this sentence. I am a bit leery about sharing this story but if it will prevent others from enduring a similar embarassment then it is worth it. Recently I had the misfortune to have to go to a doctor who has an opprobrium in his back office. As you may  or may not know it is recommended for men that reach the age of 40 (which I just barely have) to have an exam whereby the doctor uses his middle digit to... ahmm... explore for growths. I will not go into details but suffice to warn: guys,don �t go to a doctor with fat fingers. Anyway the doctor convinced me that this is a routine procedure and that I should have it done annually. I went into his  opprobrium (an operating room used for probing and administering barium enemas) and was asked to disrobe and the agonizing procedure took place. Afterwards the doctor thanked me which I found strange. I now have my doubts about the whole procedure and you can be assured it will be the last time I visit that optometrist. Ed

6 Apr 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Opprobrium was a blood thirsty dinosaur from the Cretaceous period. He ate a Tyrannosaurus rex for breakfast and a couple of Triceratops for lunch, so his belly was very wide and rounded.

6 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

who was the opportunitist who robbed the brie cheese, um?

6 Apr 2013