Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WFTNFD (Word For The Next Few Days)    

WFTNFD (Word For The Next Few Days)

edrodmedina
United States

WFTNFD (Word For The Next Few Days)

Thank you Marion for choosing me as the winner of the WOD. I will post today and choose a winner by Wednesday.

The word for the next few days is pecksniffian. Let �s see some creative and funny definitions for this word. Remember we don �t want the actual meaning, but one that displays your wit and sense of humor (or lack thereof). Ed

8 Apr 2013      

MarionG
Netherlands

I think I �ll pass on this one. After Dutchboy �s "squizzy", your "optomotrist" and sarguero �s "blow job" I think it is better to keep my associations for this one to myself before ESLprintables turns into a resticted site!

JUST KIDDING, JUST KIDDING!!!

8 Apr 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

A pecksniffian is what is not shown in this illustration:

It is a tiny organ (just behind the illustration) which enables the woodpecker to smell (or sniff - hence the name) insects hiding behind the bark so it knows exactly where to hit.
Together with the shock absorbing spongy tissue, the pecksniffian significantly reduces headaches in the common woodpecker.

8 Apr 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

Marion, I �m really into nature and stuff. Do uncommon woodpeckers have a pecksniffian too or just the common ones? And what about the royal woodpeckers? Ed

8 Apr 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

Glad you asked, Ed. Actually also uncommon woodpeckers have pecksniffians but since they want to distinguish themselves from the �commoners � they prefer the -techically related but incorrect - term �olfactory bulbs �. Surprisingly, the Royal Woodpeckers have no pecksniffian nor olfactory bulbs, they get Royal Headaches.

8 Apr 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

funny ornithological observations - but far from being true!

a pecksniffian is one of those dirty old men who can �t go past their secretaries or women in an elevator or women in a queue or other ladies without coming just that little bit too close that the ladies loathe - and who think they are irresistible.

It starts off with pecksniffing, and what you get in the end is people like

..........Dominique Strauss-Kahn.................

8 Apr 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Pecksniffian

It �s the man who works in a perfume laboratory making "Eau de Pecan" and he is renown for his great nose. He can sniff more than 10000 different fragrances.

The irresistible fragrance of the pecan nut makes men go crazy, even the ugliest girl will succeed . So girls... time to buy a big bottle and thanks a lot to the Pecksniffians for their great contribution for the mankind.

Note: There is a "For men" fragrance too with an "after shave" in a pack with 20% discount.

9 Apr 2013     

douglas
United States

Little do people know, but Gregory Peck had a drinking problem and when he drank he would become quite "the ladies� man".  Most of his fans swooned over him and loved the attention (to Peck�s advantage). 

On the other hand, his fellow thespians were not so enthusiastic about his drunken advances when he had been drinking on the set--this was especially the case with the male actors he worked with. 

The resulting problems on set drove the director to hire a special aide.  The special aide�s job was to simply find Peck�s alcohol stash and add a special concoction to the bottle that included, among other things, cod liver oil.   The "cleansing" effect of the concoction would force Peck to try and get his lines right the first time so he could go relieve himself in his trailer between takes.  To the "relief" of his colleagues this kept him from playing "ladies� man" for too long. 

A problem with the whole thing is that Peck would sometimes be in too much of a rush to find a suitable toilet and would often wander into the wrong trailers or office buildings.  The effects of the alcohol would often cause him to fall asleep on his temporary "throne" and no one could find him--this got very costly for the studio.  So the director assigned an additional duty to the aide�s repertoire --sniff out Peck (the odor was always strong and distinct enough to easily identify and locate) and get him back in front of the cameras.

Word got out among Peck fans so they began to try and "sniff-out" Peck and take advantage of his amorous feelings before the aide could find them.  These Peck sniffing groupies became known as "pecksniffians". 

(Rumor has it that Justin Bieber has a similar problem --they call his sniffing groupies "beaver sniffers"--but I haven �t been able to verify that yet.). 

9 Apr 2013     

Jayho
Australia

You�re all  pecksniffians!

Yes, all you eslprintables WOD participants, in your aim of witt witt wittling and peck peck pecking away to find some treachorously unusual definition for WOD,  spending way too much time sniff sniff sniffing too much of something (possibly Eau de Pecan) in your endless endeavour to come up with the wittiest cleverest answer. You are all typical pecksniffians.

9 Apr 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

@jayho, I don �t know about being a pecksniffian but you �re absolutely right about spending too much time on the forum when I should be preparing classes, correcting work and maybe even preapere food for my family Big smile

9 Apr 2013