Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Zero article a/an or the    

Zero article a/an or the

olchik23
Belarus

Zero article a/an or the

Dear colleagues,

I need help with these sentences! Could you make some explanations, please?

1. There �s _ amazing scenery all around the hotel! 

Scenery is an uncountable noun, we can �t use "an," but why "the" is impossible?  I know this scenery, it is a certain scenery around the hotel.

2. Could you book _accommodation for a group of twenty coming to the Conference?

Accommodation is also uncountable noun. What about it?

3.I believe that the surviving of the planet is worth fighting for. 

4. Building a road here will destroy an area of great natural beauty.

This is a certain road here, why "а"?  There is a description of this area with a preposition of. I think it �s a certain place.

Thanks in advance for your answers! I �m waiting .....

16 Apr 2013      

douglas
United States

1.  You wouldn �t say: there is the amazing trees near the hotel.  (actually, I could imagine a few situations where one could say: "There is the amazing scenery...."

2. accomodation can also be countable:  I have an accomodation for you. --but generally "accommodations" refers to lodgings and "accommodation" refers to an adjustment.

3. the survival

4. using "a" puts the conversation in more general terms--not just the one road, but any road at all would destroy the beauty

17 Apr 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I agree with Douglas� answer, but one could say �an amazing scenery�. This particular scenery, this one, makes it countable. Next I �d like to add that any language is a living thing. They change. So some �old � rules are not applicable each and every time. By the way, you realise you �ve put the same thread up twice? That makes it countable but unnecessary :-) Cheers

17 Apr 2013     

yanogator
United States

I don �t think we would say "an amazing scenery" in the US. Maybe it is said in Australia.

Bruce

17 Apr 2013     

olchik23
Belarus

Thank you for your answers!  

17 Apr 2013