Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > have to / must    

have to / must

steph30
France

have to / must

Hi guys!
I�m preparing a lesson plan about global warming, first the pupils will talk about facts and we�ll conclude with some solutions to these problems. I was wondering if it would be better to say "We have to react! We have to turn off lights when we don�t use them, etc...." or " we must react!"We must turn off lights when we don�t use them, etc...."
Thanks ;)

26 Jan 2009      

Ivona
Serbia

British English makes this distinction.

HAVE TO expresses �external� obligation, that comes from �outside� (laws, regulations, other people�s orders, etc.) Students in my school have to wear uniforms.

MUST expresses the feelings and wishes of the speaker/hearer
I must stop smoking. (I want to.)

So i would suggest you use �must�, or maybe �should� (which is weaker, though).

26 Jan 2009     

steph30
France

Thanks for answering. I know these rules ... I just want to have the point of view of a native speaker ;)

26 Jan 2009     

littlecityblue
France

As a native speaker, I would use must.  I don�t think we really distinguish between the two in day to day language, but to me �must� implies more than just feelings and wishes - more of an obligation to yourself, if you see what I mean?  I also agree with the previous poster that �should� may be appropriate too.

We must react.  We should turn off the lights etc.

26 Jan 2009     

douglas
United States

As a native speaker I use them interchangeably, but definately use "have to" much more often than "must".  I suspect that "must" is used more often by my European colleagues (UK) than my American (US) colleagues, but can�t prove it.

Both are fine, but I would personally use "have to" because it "feels" better.
Douglas

26 Jan 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Douglas:

You are right in US and Canada have to is used more than must in spoken English.  

26 Jan 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Spoken English, yes. Most grammars point to the distinction that i mentioned above. That�s why i put it. But, both verbs get the message across and that�s what should matter. Language is alive and grammar just tries to strip it off its beauty.
Just go with the ... "feeling" Wink

26 Jan 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

I think stef asked the correct way to say it or the closest to the propper use of it rather than what  ��feells better��.
what Ivona said is just the same thing I�d answer.

Enjoy!

Miss Melissa. Hug

26 Jan 2009