Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Flashcard game ideas for vocab    

Flashcard game ideas for vocab

kairyudo
Japan

Flashcard game ideas for vocab

My school has a 1200 Vocab book and the students learn 60 words a week. It has 7 categories - verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs, prepositions, conjunctions and idioms. I want to make flashcards with them but won �t have enough time to make copies like I �d need to if I played UNO or GO Fish with them. 

Does anyone have any ideas on how to use these cards as an activity?  I �m gonna design the cards according to their different categories and I thought maybe I could think up some kind of game where each group gets one category and rotates it so each group masters one of the categories and the following class, the groups choose a category they haven �t done yet. Or a boardgame where they have 7 different piles and have to pick one card from 3/4 piles and make a sentence using those cards. Or maybe something like Apples to Apples...I haven �t really given it much thought yet but I would really appreciate any ideas from anyone!! 

1 May 2013      

MarionG
Netherlands

I tried googling "flashcard teaching ideas and it came up of a lot of different links, I didn �t go into them yet but maybe this helps:

1 May 2013     

marie.marron
Spain

Here you have a document with lots of ideas.

2 May 2013     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

It  depends an the age of your students, I like these activities for example.

Flashcard Circle

This is a very good warming up activity. You need a set of flashcards and a timer. Make a big circle with the flashcards on the floor. One pupil starts jumping from one flashcard to another and naming the pictures. If he/she doesn�t know the word, he/she gets three penalty points.

Thieves and Policeman

Split the pupils into two teams. One team are thieves and the other one are policemen. They sit on opposite  sides of the classroom.  Give each thief and each policeman a number. Place the food flashcards in the middle of the room but slightly nearer to the thieves.  Call out some food item and say a number, for example: an apple, six. Thief number six now runs to get the apple and at the same time policeman number six chases him/her. If the thief picks the apple and runs back without being caught, he shouts :�I�ve got the apple!And the thieves keep the apple. If the policeman catches (by touching) the thief, he says: �I�ve caught thief number six. He takes the apple and puts the robber in prison. The game goes on until everything is stolen or all thieves are in prison.

2 May 2013     

kairyudo
Japan

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful! My kids are 16-18 - should �ve mentioned that. :)

3 May 2013