Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > BRAZILIAN SAYING     

BRAZILIAN SAYING

teachersouza
Brazil

BRAZILIAN SAYING

Hi teachers. We have a saying here in Brazil which is: �Relembrar o passado � sofrer duas vezes. The literal translation to English is: Remembering the past is suffering twice . I was wondering if anyone knows a corresponding or similar English expression THANKS IN ADVANCE.

7 May 2013      

mvblair
United States

Sometimes we say "history repeats itself" or "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." Those are a little similar, I suppose. I �m not sure about a similar proverb, but there is a quote that is usually said as a proverb: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." It �s from George Santayna.

Any others, anyone?

Matt

7 May 2013     

Mariya-ye
Russian Federation

Well, I don �t know the English proverb.But the meanings of the following proverbs mentioned above -"Remembering the past is suffering twice" and :Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it" are opposite! The 1st one means that it �s better to forget the past not to remeber bad things in order to be ale to live further without suferring again and again because of the sad past. but the meaning of the 2d one is that people should remember the past to know the history and people�s experience not to repeat their mistakes of the past.

7 May 2013