Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Kids that are too fast!    

Kids that are too fast!

MimiAguilar
Mexico

Kids that are too fast!

Hey, so i have this issue. You see, as i guess every classroom has, some of my students finish way too fast, which makes me freak out, i don �t know what to do, specially now that an evaluation is coming. so, any ideas on how to make them a little bit more busy?

9 May 2013      

dutchboydvh
Singapore

For the kids that are quick, I usually have a backup worksheet for them to do. Usually something fun. A wordsearch that relates to the lesson reinforces spelling, while a crossword helps with comprehension. I use this site to create them.

http://www.armoredpenguin.com/

It �s also good to have reading materials they can access; magazines or books they can use to practice their English as well as reading skills.

-Dar http://www.armoredpenguin.com/

9 May 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I often try to have other worksheets available for my faster students as dutchboy does. You can find lots of them right here at ESLP. You might give more difficult work to your faster students for extra credit. (Oddly enough, the students who need extra credit the least want it the most!) I have also noticed that sometimes my faster students will voluntarily help slower students, which I usually encourage. It �s good for both the tutor and the other student. But I teach adults and they don �t get grades. If you have the technology, you can also let them play English games on the computer. If not, maybe you can find some fun books in English for them to read while other students finish. Even comic books would be good (if age appropriate, some comics aren �t good for young students). If you have several who finish quickly, you might bring them together for conversation in English, as long as they don �t talk too loudly. A possible topic might be "Which English-speaking country has the best musicians?" Wind them up and let them go!

9 May 2013     

pyes
New Zealand

Another idea is to have the first finished students compare and contrast their ideas and answers together. It gives a chance for well performed students to interact with other top students in a speaking/writing situation.
For shorter waits you can have a series of related English questions or give a written assignment for longer waits.

Crosswords are good and most students love 1-on-1 conversation time with the teacher

9 May 2013     

MimiAguilar
Mexico

thanks a lot guys :D

9 May 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

I have a binder with printables from here that reinvest previously seen grammar points and vocabulary. When they are done, they go in the binder, pick the activity they want to do and work alone or with a partner. My only rule: you can �t come to me for explanations: use your resources. This gives me time to focus on my weaker students.

10 May 2013     

Lovely Lana
Greece

I also give some extra worksheets to those who finish first or I tell them they can start doing exercises from their homework.
It was very interesting to read other ideas, thank you, MimiAguilar   for starting the topic and others for your valuable ideas. A very useful link, dutchboydvh.Smile

10 May 2013