Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day!    

Word of the Day!

MoodyMoody
United States

Word of the Day!

Thank you, thank you, Edrodmedina, for choosing me as winner of the last Word of the Day competition! 

Your new word of the day, everyone, is TEGESTOLOGY.

Remember, DO NOT use the real definition! I want to see what your creative minds can come up with as definitions.

I actually plan to do a similar activity with my new TOEFL class, which starts next week. It �s a fun way to help students improve vocabulary by introducing word roots.

By the way, so I don �t have to start a new thread, I would love to have advice from other TOEFL teachers. It �s a very different level from the one I teach now.

13 May 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

Moody... I beleive that you misspelled the word. It is actually spelled etgestology which as we know means the study of gestures made by extraterrestrials (ET). Ed

13 May 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Tegestology is the science that studies the gestures made by people who suffer from Nikola Tesla energy generator rays.

13 May 2013     

ejpan
United Kingdom

Tegestology is the study of how the body digests tea.

13 May 2013     

anaram
Spain

Tegestology is a branch of graphology. It is the study of the writer �s character by analysing the way the letter T is traced (gestated).

13 May 2013     

huddersboy
Japan

Tegestology is the study of jesting as an artform in Ireland during the mid to late middle ages

13 May 2013     

alex1968
Greece

Actually, it �s a golf terminology.   It �s used when a golfer gets a hole-in-one.

Te = tee (the golf peg where golfers place the golf ball)
ge = gee (exclamation as the golfer swings and hits said ball)
sto = stow away (golfer �s caddy puts club back in the bag while golfer follows his ball)
lo = low (golfer �s shout for everyone to duck so that the ball won �t hit them)
gy = god yes! (the ball has land slap bang straight in the hole)

Commentator: "Tiger Woods has placed his ball on the tee and is getting ready to swing... Just look at that concentration... He hits the ball and....YES, it �s a TEGESTOLOGY!  And the crowds are going wild!..."

13 May 2013     

douglas
United States

Te- tea
gest- jest (to joke)
ology- some kind of science or study

Tegestology -- the study of (stupid) tea jokes that people all over the world make the moment they hear the word "British".

EDIT: or it�s the science of how to properly put your pinky finger up (a gesture)when drinking tea.

14 May 2013     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Well this is my first contribution in the WOD, hope my definition makes sense

I guess it is the study of using EST (Electro- SHOCK-Treatement) for players addicted to the popular risk-based board wargame TEG :The name is an acronym of T�ctica y Estrategia para la Guerra., Spanish for Tactics and Strategy for War.

14 May 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Welcome to Word of the Day, oumsalsabil! I �ll repost after the thread goes off screen, and I �ll make my decision tonight.

14 May 2013