Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A question to native speakers    

A question to native speakers

ueslteacher
Ukraine

A question to native speakers

I �ve been marking exams and came across a phrase in the students � writing several times and I would like to know if it is acceptable, so what do you think about "features of character"? To me it just doesn �t sound right but some of the colleagues said it was OK.

14 Jun 2013      

valentinaper
Greece

I �m not a native speaker, Sophia, but it sounds OK to me. I �ve heard it being used as an alternative to "character traits". 

Let �s see what others will say.

14 Jun 2013     

supermarketdragon
Spain

Personality traits
Personality features
Character traits

Personally, I like to use personality traits, but any one of these is correct.

14 Jun 2013     

Enid Stella
South Africa

I am a native speaker (British English) and use �character traits � as a first choice followed by �personality traits �.

15 Jun 2013     

spinney
United Kingdom

You might use it in a technical document (note that I said "might") but I agree with the rest, "personality traits" or "character traits" are the norm. Could it be something that just translates that way directly? It �s a bit difficult to say for sure without an entire sentence to put it into context.

15 Jun 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yes, Dale, that �s exactly the case they used the direct translation instead of "character traits". Thank you all!
Any more opinions from other parts of the English-speaking world?
Sophia

15 Jun 2013     

maceman
Canada

Hello.
I agree that the phrases personality traits or character traits are commonly used. For an interesting discussion on the difference you could look at this: 
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/happiness-in-world/201104/personality-vs-character
All the best.

15 Jun 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Until today, I have never heard the phrase: "Features of character".

I would use either: "Character traits" or Personality traits".

Les

15 Jun 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

hi Les! long time no see...hope all is well

15 Jun 2013     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Marion,

Dank U wel.

Les

15 Jun 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thank you, maceman and Les, for confirming that! I felt the phrase was off but when your colleagues start to say something like "I �ve seen it before in different reading materials in English" I kind of start having doubts:) So thank you for your precious help.
Sophia

15 Jun 2013