Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ask for help!    

Ask for help!

yanogator
United States

Note, Douglas, that it said "UK or archaic", which seems to indicate that it is archaic except in the UK.

In the US, "proctor" isn �t necessarily formal, except for the fact that the entire process is rather formal. I, too, had never heard of "invigilate", and I don �t think it was ever common in the US (except, maybe in colonial times).

Bruce

17 Jun 2013     

Doot
Canada

Well I haven �t heard of the term "proctor" but I certainly have been asked to invigilate my share of exams in Canada.  Supervise exams in also used.

17 Jun 2013     

douglas
United States

>>Bruce I caught the "or" 

For the US it �s one of those "old world" terms--I guess it �s kind of like the word "groovy" is for one of our kids these days.  Pinch

18 Jun 2013     

Jayho
Australia

I don �t get it - why is it labelled as �archaic except for UK � when it is used in the land downunder and Canada too it seems

That site defines archaic as:

archaic
No longer in general use, but still found in some contemporary texts (such as Bible translations) and generally understood (but rarely used) by educated people. For example, thee and thou are archaic pronouns, having been completely superseded by you. Archaic is a stronger term than dated, but not as strong as obsolete.

18 Jun 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

LOL, I work in an alternative school where we don �t have exams at all anymore, the idea is personalized evaluation (an exam evaluates a student as compared to others) sooo
can I say that as far as our school is concerned the words supervisor, invigilator, proctor and even the word exam is "archaic" Wink

18 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I know a guy called Pip Proctor. It �s a lovely name, but don �t think I can feel the same now that I know what a proctor is!

18 Jun 2013     

< Previous   1    2