Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > confused about vocabulary    

confused about vocabulary

monder78
Poland

confused about vocabulary

Dear fellow teachers There are some words in English I have difficulty in finding. Is there any word for saying a prayer slapdashly without right respect , quickly because the praying person is in a hurry? I also have some doubts as regards the verb which means that a boy or a girl is paying too much attention to another sex and wants to be redarded as attractive. Is there anything like look around for a girl/boy ? I know for a man the noun is womanizer , how about a woman ? You say misinformed but how to express that you are only partly informed, you don �t know everything because anybody hasn �t told you some details. For the time being I have the above mantioned queries. Many thanks for you help. HUGS

24 Jun 2013      

yanogator
United States

I don �t think there �s a specific word for your prayer question. Is there such a word in Polish?

We say boy-crazy and girl-crazy, which seem to be the terms you need.

You can say underinformed.

I �m sure others will have some suggestions, too.

Bruce

24 Jun 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Maybe you could say carelessly.  They say their prayers carelessly.

For the girls / boys you could use :  flirt - flirty - flirtatious?

The equivalent of a womaniser : man eater maybe?  (the title of an old song by Hall & Oates)

We often say that we/they don�t have the whole/full story (don�t have all the details)

Cheers

Jayho

24 Jun 2013     

douglas
United States

For not being informed you could say: "I �m in the dark on that" or "They have kept me in the dark on that".  Reminds me of something my Dad used to say: "My boss must think I �m a mushroom, he alwys keeps me in the dark and feeds me nothing but bull$hit." 

Just to clarify, a "womanizer" is a man who has lots of different girlfriends/affairs.

25 Jun 2013     

monder78
Poland

Many thanks for your help

25 Jun 2013