Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dear Italian members    

Dear Italian members

yanogator
United States

Dear Italian members

I just read that the Italian word "pomodoro" (tomato) translates as "gold apple" in Italian. I always thought it was "love apple". Which is it, please?

Thank you very much,
Bruce

24 Jun 2013      

alex076
Italy

Hi Bruce :-)
It is definitely "pomo" = APPLE and "d�oro" = GOLDEN.
"Pomo" can also mean fruit in general, but it is not a common word, perhaps more commonly used in local dialects.
Hope this helps.
Love,
Alex

24 Jun 2013     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Bruce. In Sicily we call it "Love apple" (pumaramuri), because it wasn �t used as vegetable but it was more a decorative plant and because of its colour and shape (a heart) it was used by lovers as a promise of love.
But when the tomato arrived in Europe with Columbus, the shape and colour were completely different from those we know now: the tomato was  a kind of  golden yellow berry, the golden apple - pomo d �oro/pomodoro.
Ciao.

25 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

OK. Those two answers together tell me that pomodoro does mean golden apple, and that it is also called a love apple.

Thanks!
Bruce

25 Jun 2013     

maryse pey�
France

Hey Bruce,

Is New York a "pomodoro" ? Is this Big Apple a Golden Apple AND a Golden Gate ?

Sinatra and Minelli sing that it is a city that never sleeps... I guess it is because everyone bites this Love Apple ?

Hugs to all.

Maryse.

25 Jun 2013     

yanogator
United States

Maryse, the Golden Gate is San Francisco, which Tony Bennett sang about!

Bruce

25 Jun 2013     

maryse pey�
France

Oh Bruce,

How right you are but I �m afraid the lyrics of the song New York New York got me a little too drunk... and as geography is one of my worst enemies... my steps wandered me a little too far !

Good Wednesday everyone !

Maryse.

26 Jun 2013