Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WOD    

WOD

yanogator
United States

WOD

We �re going with my favorite word for playing hangman:

syzygy

As always, no dictionary definitions. This is your opportunity to wow me with your creative writing of your own "meaning" for this word.

ENJOY!
Bruce

27 Jun 2013      

maryse pey�
France

Let �s see if you wil find a SYnonym
for ZYGY which is the contraction for Zebra Yachting Genuinely Yoyoing (just ask for the form to fill in to join the Club)
or in other words : to sail with a yacht painted like a zebra and being completely put up and down by monstruous stormy waves agitated by a furious wind galoping faster than a herd of infuriated zebras. Clear enough ?

Well I confess that I �m badly suffering from Syzygyness, or in other words the mortal SYndrom of craziness due to the non finding a SYnonym for ZYGY, since I �ve been looking for this SYnonym for years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP !!!

27 Jun 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Syzgy is an equivalent interjection to geez.

Some people don �t like to use or hear geez because to them it is an abbreviation of Jesus, so they use syzgy instead.

Syzgy Brooce, will you stop playing that accordian so loud! It �s giving me a headache.

27 Jun 2013     

belfer
United States

Syzygy -scissors for the lefty :)
We don �t really have a word for it, so here we go.

27 Jun 2013     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

We had "WYSIWYG" (What you see is what you get) for word processor programs a few years back. Now, we have "SYZYGY", which I guess must be... "Slender Yodeling Zebras Yearn (to) Go Yodeling". Or maybe... it is what you think the pronunciation of each and every letter of the Russian alphabet is, until you get a bit more used to it?

27 Jun 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Politically incorrect way to say Sissy Guy in the Deep South.

27 Jun 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Sy(n)-: same -zygy: zygote, or fertilized egg cell So obviously syzygy is the medical term for identical twinning. Easy!

28 Jun 2013     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi, if this is sheer imagination...I would say that syzygy reminds me of "gypsy".
Therefore, "syzygy" would be a word for "little sister" in gypsy slang!  :)

28 Jun 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

frantic seizures suffered by a young gynecologist

28 Jun 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I haven �t actually seen syzygy used by itself, so I guess I �m not the winner. The word I know is syncsyzygy. This is when two female friends are in perfect harmony because they are both as fat as each other. Whereas the one may have a bit more up top, the other makes up for it with her luscious, giant melon-like buttocks. Being a Greek scholar (well I know all the beaches on Corfu and I know a good retsina when it wets my lips), I will explain. Sync= in harmony/syz= size (the Greeks are rubbish spellers), gy= woman. Marion - you are on the right lines with this syllable. 
Oh, my syncsyzygyist friend has the real definition for syzygy. It is an Indian Cockney agreeing to something. �Says I, jee! � You have to say that with a cockney accent. Ah, possibly you need to be in the room for this one... 

You can practise your Cockney here. I�m afraid I think it�s an unattractive accent. 

28 Jun 2013     

elderberrywine
Germany

syzygy- quiet, hissing noise made by a member of the British Royal Family trying to suppress a bad sneeze at a public event. AFter all, public sneezing won�t do at all! 

28 Jun 2013     

1    2    Next >