Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Content vs Contented     

Content vs Contented

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

Content vs Contented

Good evening

I came across a sentence as " John isn �t content with his present salary " and I looked up for the difference between " content " and " contented " in the dictionary . Then , I found out that " contented" is mostly used before noun and " content " is not used before noun . However , I saw a sentence in an English course book like " Although it �s a long day for us, we are contented with what we do " . Now I can �t make sense if it is alright to use " content " as the way it was used in the course book . Could you please clear this up?

Many thanks

12 Jul 2013      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I didn �t know the rule for content and contented (being English), but I know what sounds right! Contented in the sentence you quote isn �t right - it should be content. Actually, I haven �t seen contented used much at all.

12 Jul 2013     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

Thank you, Cunliffe . " Contented " in the second sentence was used in the course book , so it really confused me . Thanks for your explanation again . Hugs

12 Jul 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

in the dictionary it says "usually before nouns" not "always/only"
maybe the usage note here can help
and if a native speaker says it�s not used today, I wouldn�t worry too much:)
Sophia

12 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

I definitely agree with Lynne. "Content" refers to your attitude about a situation. "Contented" is more about your personality. I can sum it up (a little) in the sentence "A contented person is usually content in any situation".

I hope this makes the difference somewhat clearer.

Bruce

12 Jul 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yep, Bruce - thinking about it, I �ve seen �contented � used to describe a baby. 

12 Jul 2013     

hanhxuanthao
Vietnam

Thanks for the detailed explantion from you , guys. Have a nice day, Lynne, Sophia and Bruce!

13 Jul 2013