Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > I need some help with grammar    

I need some help with grammar

chito006hacker
Peru

I need some help with grammar

Hi Guys from esl printables i got a question. when do i use somebody or nobody  + verb?  for example . everybody goes to the or everybody go to the gym which one is correct? and a second question if the question is : Is your daughter �s name sue ? what would be the answer.  a) yes, she is or b) yes, it is, i appreciate your future comments , regards.

25 Jul 2013      

Sonyta04
Costa Rica

Everybody goes... (all of the indefinite pronouns are used as a third person singular...
The answer will be: Yes, it is, because we are talking about the name (it) and not the person (she) :)

25 Jul 2013     

yanogator
United States

I think Chito �s first question was also asking about the necessity of a verb. In this case, it is a command, so you can say "Everybody go to the gym" or, more informally, "Everybody to the gym".

Bruce

25 Jul 2013     

mohamedthabet
Tunisia

You are always right Bruce, but I think chito006hacker �s 1st sentence is meant to be declarative and then Sonyta04 �s answer becomes perfectly correct.

25 Jul 2013     

mackoy
Chile

everybody goes, somebody goes , etc. As you can see, indefinite pronouns act as a 3rd person singular in all cases.

For your second question, you are asking about the girl �s name, so the name is a noun and it �s replaced by the pronoun "it", because that�s the main point of your question, the name, not the person.

Regards.

25 Jul 2013     

chito006hacker
Peru

Hi everybody , thanks for your answers, i appreciate your comments. Take care :)

26 Jul 2013