Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Motivating ideas for the first lesson    

Motivating ideas for the first lesson

beefeater
Albania

Motivating ideas for the first lesson

Hi,

I need some ideas on how to start a lesson with students aged 15-16, (big group: 25 students). Something to present our lessons and break the ice and encourage them to talk. How would you start?

Thanks a lot!!!!

6 Sep 2013      

Doot
Canada

There are lots of Find someone who activities on this site. Those are always a great way to get students out of their seats and talking. 

6 Sep 2013     

teresapr
Portugal

May be these links will be useful:

6 Sep 2013     

esba
Spain

Thank you!!!

6 Sep 2013     

PaulG
Costa Rica

Personally, I like to use activities that help me get to know the students. I remember my first class, I wrote a list of adjectives on the board, like 7 different adjectives for each letter of the alphabet, and I told them to use the letters of their names and use adjectives that started with those letters that described them. For example, an Alice might say that she is Amazing, Lady-like, Idealistic, Cute, and Exemplary. But the words have to be words that describe them, not just random words just because they go with the letters of the name.

6 Sep 2013     

beefeater
Albania

Thanks a million!!!

8 Sep 2013