Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > URGENT HELP, PLEASE!     

URGENT HELP, PLEASE!

Mar0919
Mexico

URGENT HELP, PLEASE!

Hello, dear teachers!!! I need your help! I am the Coordinator at my school. The principal asked me to test all our English teachers to check their level of knowledge of English. All the tests I have found online, are very basic. I would like a more advanced test, to really see if they know all the grammar usage and application of the language. Preferably, I �d like a version I can print, not online. 
Does anyone have any suggestions?!?!?!? 

Thanks in advance for your help!!! 

TGIF!!! Yay!!!! 

Hugs!!!

Mar

13 Sep 2013      

esl-teacher
Peru

I recommend you to test your teachers with the Cambridge Exams. Depending on what level you want to test them on, you can use the FCE or the CAE examinations. You can find plenty of material regarding those exams online.

13 Sep 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

Ok, thank you esl-teacher! I will look into those!!! 

13 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

You might also try looking for TOEFL materials.

13 Sep 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://www.examenglish.com/leveltest/index.php (the questions get easier or harder depending on your answer and the test gives you a rough evaluation of your level)
http://examenglish.com/CEFR/C1.htm
Sorry, just saw you wanted printed versionsEmbarrassed
Correction:

Sophia

13 Sep 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thanks so much dear Sophia! 

I will also check your suggestion, Moody! 

Thanks a bunch! 

13 Sep 2013     

nofung
United States

All of the above a great! As an alternative you can try an Oxford placement test. It tests grammar upto a mastery level and the best part is that it will show what level a person is at. Try it.

14 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

In England, these English teachers would be consulting their union reps and I must say, I �d have some sympathy. 

14 Sep 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOL! Cunliffe! Here in Mexico, I might get sued too! LOL!.... but, you would not BELIEVE how unprepared some "teachers" are, then we expect kids to learn and get good grades when one of the teachers I have here, does not know what an adjective is, what a pronoun can substitute... ! 
The problem is, before I started working here, the principal would just hire any person who "knew" how to speak English. And all you beautiful English teachers KNOW it �s 2 whole different issues to KNOW how to speak a language than to TEACH a language! 
So... either these teachers get their act together, and take up a course, SHOW SOME INTEREST in preparing themselves... or... they �re out of a job. 
It �s sad, yes. But it �s real.
As a teacher of many years, I know we must give new teachers a chance to gain experience and develop their own teaching techniques, but when you see a teacher with no interest to learn, to prepare fun, interactive classes, in spite of having explained to him many times, how he must prepare a class, showing him visual aids he can use, helping him prepare a sample class, and he still will not do it... then we have the parents come up and complain that the "teacher" made horrible spelling mistakes on their child �s book... what can you say? 
I go in and observe this teacher �s class, and all I see is writing on the board and having the kids copy and translate.... yuck!!!! Teaching is not about translation anymore! You must get kids to enjoy learning the language, to understand the language through doing! Thus the beautiful phrase: "Tell me, and I �ll forget... Show me and I might remember...INVOLVE me and I �ll UNDERSTAND!"

Anyway.... such is life! 

14 Sep 2013     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOL! Cunliffe! Here in Mexico, I might get sued too! LOL!.... but, you would not BELIEVE how unprepared some "teachers" are, then we expect kids to learn and get good grades when one of the teachers I have here, does not know what an adjective is, what a pronoun can substitute... ! 
The problem is, before I started working here, the principal would just hire any person who "knew" how to speak English. And all you beautiful English teachers KNOW it �s 2 whole different issues to KNOW how to speak a language than to TEACH a language! 
So... either these teachers get their act together, and take up a course, SHOW SOME INTEREST in preparing themselves... or... they �re out of a job. 
It �s sad, yes. But it �s real.
As a teacher of many years, I know we must give new teachers a chance to gain experience and develop their own teaching techniques, but when you see a teacher with no interest to learn, to prepare fun, interactive classes, in spite of having explained to him many times, how he must prepare a class, showing him visual aids he can use, helping him prepare a sample class, and he still will not do it... then we have the parents come up and complain that the "teacher" made horrible spelling mistakes on their child �s book... what can you say? 
I go in and observe this teacher �s class, and all I see is writing on the board and having the kids copy and translate.... yuck!!!! Teaching is not about translation anymore! You must get kids to enjoy learning the language, to understand the language through doing! Thus the beautiful phrase: "Tell me, and I �ll forget... Show me and I might remember...INVOLVE me and I �ll UNDERSTAND!"

Anyway.... such is life! 

14 Sep 2013