Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Vocabulary: Asking for help!!!    

Vocabulary: Asking for help!!!

Jessisun
Argentina

Vocabulary: Asking for help!!!

hi, everyone! I need your help with vocabulary. Yesterday, I was with my adult class and they were learning how to describe  people �s physical appearances. When we started talking about weigth in the copy the had it has some words such as �thin, slim, average weigh, over weight and fat � but one of my students asked me �is there any word to call a person that is very fat??? I didn �t know what to say and I promised him to look for some words. So, if you can help me, I �d be extremely glad!!! Thank you in advance for your replies!!! Wink

17 Sep 2013      

SaraMariam
United States

First thing that came to my mind is "obese".

17 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Obese. �A person of size � - I absolutely love it; going to start using it and I hope it catches on.  

17 Sep 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

In medical jargon, weight classification goes from underweight (too thin), normal weight, overweight (a little too fat), obese (fat), and morbidly obese (very fat). Some will even go to super obese (need to shop in special stores or order clothes online fat).

Most fat people in the USA hate to be called fat, so we have a lot of euphemisms. A few (feel free to add others): husky (especially little boys), chubby (little girls), chunky, plump, beer belly, love handles, muffin-top, curvy, voluptuous, well-cushioned or insulated, or even more to love.

17 Sep 2013     

aliciapc
Uruguay

robust , stocky , corpulent , rotund 

17 Sep 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

As Gabriel Iglesias would say: "fluffy". Ed   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J29A9nBtp2U

17 Sep 2013     

MarionG
Netherlands

I would also think of obese for someone who is really overweight but as pointed out before, it is not something you would say to a person unless you are a doctor or mean spirited. I will sometimes say about a person who is more than fat,  that he or she is �big�.
As mentioned before, there are many euphemisms to describe someone who is overweight, stout, pudgy, porky or rounded;
I personally like : Rubenesque (from: Ruben, the painter) I definitely would  prefer to be called Rubenesque over many other alternatives. It almost sounds like a compliment, no?
(and one can be "a little Rubenesque" or "very Rubenesque")Wink

18 Sep 2013     

PhilipR
Thailand

Obese and morbidly obese are used quite a lot.

If the fat is concentrated in one part, you might use pot-bellied or having a spare tire. Pig

18 Sep 2013     

Jayho
Australia

Yes, obese, but where I am we don�t really use it to describe people.   In our own mind we think of the very fat person being just that or obese but in everyday conversation, if the topic of weight came up, we say overweight, or depending on who we are with, grossly overweight because really, that is not a nice term and nor is fat.

Usage of grossly overweight : Scroll down to examples

Talking about weight is becoming one of those taboo subjects these days given the ever expanding girth size of the general population.  Using overweight is a safe option.

18 Sep 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Yes, obese is mainly a medical term, I don �t think an ordinary person would use it. If someone is really very fat, I would say huge.

18 Sep 2013