Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > American Culture    

American Culture

kissnetothedit
Hungary

American Culture

Dear Friends from the USA,
I really need your help. My son has to make a presentation (advanced, at the university) on the topic �American Culture �. Very nice topic, but sooo huge. What are the main points? What is important in your opinion?
Thanks in advance.
Hugs,
Edit

3 Oct 2013      

ELOJOLIE274
France

wao, that �s like asking me to make a presentation on French Gastronomy...

I �m pretty sure that �s impossible to talk about everything - unless the presentation lasts several hours...
He could focus on:
- food
- the media
- entertainment
- ethnic diversity (making "American" "multi-cultural")
- the influence of immigrants (the influence of other languages for example Spanish)
- gun control, a huge debate but SO American!
etc...
- or on a particular person who really represents the "American culture" - for me it would be Stephen King, in his novels you can read see how the US changed over the last 50 years, and he uses a lot of cultural references in his books that can �t be understood if you �re familiar with American literature, American tv series, etc...

some videos he might be interested in (not all of them are about American culture though)
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/v85buwd9tbs00/current_events_%26_documentaries

Elodie!

3 Oct 2013     

libertybelle
United States

He needs to choose one topic and go in depth with that.
The USA is a melting pot of many cultures and traditions.
The traditions that have become most popular such as Halloween,
Thanksgiving, fast food, especially Italian food could be a starting point.
or
He could talk about which words from other languages have become part of
the American language.

Good luck
Libertybelle

3 Oct 2013     

dareka1
Japan

Go to somewhere like www.powershow.com and look for some inspiration. Find something, look at its structure, and then change the contents to fit your needs. (eg. find a good presentation about food, look at how they present the information, and then substitute it with the history of cars or something...).

3 Oct 2013     

zoemorosini
United States

Three areas of American culture I would select from include:

1.  freedom, independence and democracy
2.  the American Dream
3.  the changing face of the United States (immigration and its influence on general U.S. culture)

3 Oct 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

Please tell him to avoid American Political Culture right now, because we are embarrassed by it! I would love to have the opportunity to talk some sense into the politicians. My sister works with a defense contractor, and she �s been laid off until the whole budget mess is resolved.

3 Oct 2013     

kissnetothedit
Hungary

My Dear Friends,
Thanks
so much for your ideas. You helped me (him) a lot and we are grateful. You are very kind.
Have a relaxing weekend.
Hugs,
Edit

3 Oct 2013