Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Reading numbers     

Reading numbers

florimago
Spain

Reading numbers

Hi everybody : I have a silly question for you . How do you read phone numbers with  repeated digits ( three times and four times mainly ) Thanks in advance

Flori

24 Oct 2013      

edrodmedina
United States

If the number is 333-4444, I would read it: three three three  -four four- four four. If it were 333-3444, I would read it: three three three- three four- four four. Ed
       edit: the last four numbers are grouped by twos...they can also be read as: three three three  forty-four forty-four  or three three three    thirty-four  forty-four

24 Oct 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I would say, for 3334444: treble three, double four, double four. 

24 Oct 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/92589/transcribing-long-repeating-phone-numbers

24 Oct 2013     

florimago
Spain

Thanks everybody for your quick answers. I was familiar with Cunliffe �s answer but  I �ve seen Ed �s way too so I got a little confused  so, must I understand both are correct depending on the area?
Flori

24 Oct 2013     

yanogator
United States

Generally, it �s just a matter of personal preference. In the US, though, we wouldn �t usually use "treble" or "triple", but "double" is fairly common.
There �s an old Big Band song "Pennsylvania 6-5000", which is said "Pennsylvania six-five thousand". That �s common, when the final digits are zeroes.

My phone number as I was growing up was 268-2100. Dad always said it "268, twenty-one hundred", which I think could be confusing, since people could think he was saying 20-100.

Until recently, my number was 533-3699. I always said each digit individually.

Bruce

24 Oct 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

I usually say each digit individually, even for my own phone number. The last four digits are 3666: three six six six. Many people don �t like my phone number because many Christians believe that 666 is the number of the Anti-Christ. What �s even creepier is that if you put the numbers on a standard phone, the corresponding letters are DOOM.

24 Oct 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

We go for something like: zero -four - one - triple seven - double eight - double three. (0417778833). By the way, I got three sevens, Moody, does that mean to those superstitious people I got connections with the High One???  Evil Smile

24 Oct 2013     

Jayho
Australia

In the land down under we use triple and double
9444 6666 = nine triple four, double six double six

9994 6666 = Triple nine four, double six double six

We don �t use treble, and saying each number individually is toooo long winded

Cheers

Jayho

25 Oct 2013