Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Visit to an exposition    

Visit to an exposition

carinita
Argentina

Visit to an exposition

I �d like to accompany students to an art exhibition about Joan Mir�. They could see works that are often exposed at Centro Pompidou (Par�s) or at MOMA (New York) The museum is 13 blocks from the school. Sudents are adults, 18 years old or above. Which arguments coud be used so that the head teacher allows me and the sutdents to go to the exposition during my class time. How could I use the visit to the museum and connect it to the annual teaching planning? Perhaps to revise colours? (Students are beginners) 

29 Oct 2013      

douglas
United States

You could also use it to review emotions and describing things--what the students liked, or didn�t like, describing the picture, what they feel when they look at it, repeating/answering questions about the artists (birthday, origin, etc.)

Cheers,
Douglas

EDIT: You could also us the trip to and from the museum as a learning experience (asking/giving directions, using public transportation, ordering in a cafe, etc.)

30 Oct 2013     

Kennedy9of10
Italy

During Cambridge exams KET and PET, students have to describe photos or pictures. The language practice includes prepositions of place, and comparing images.

30 Oct 2013     

ELOJOLIE274
France

what a good idea and great teaching moment!

totally agree with the comments above,
and here �s how I would present my lesson plan - for beginners

- before the trip to the museum I would ask them to present (spoken production) a painter/sculptor whose work I KNOW will be exposed
- I would ask a group of 3-4 students to prepare the itinerary to the museum
- I would ask another group to prepare questions to a museum guide (where does this painting come from? how long will it stay in the museum? etc...)
- during the visit I would ask them to complete a ws - i would prepare the questions by going to the museum and making a list of the things I want them to notice, for example "name 3 painters who put animals in their paintings", "name 1 painting which is in black and white", "name 3 paintings where you can see people working, what are those people doing?" etc...
- then, after the visit I would "correct" the ws and work on describing the paintings (in the background, on the left...) using the elements they spotted thanks to the ws - i would try to find pictures of a few of these paintings on the internet to make this easier
- and finally i would work on what they feel when they see those paintings

you can also work on the rules (what you can do, what you mustn �t do) while visiting a museum (eating food, touching the artworks, taking pictures...)

this is such an interesting project!

30 Oct 2013     

Claunika
Argentina

Hi Carinita,
is the exhibition in Buenos Aires?
Thanks

30 Oct 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks for your help, everybody! 
To Claunika: the exhibition is Paran�, Entre Rios. I �m sure you can use some of the techniques above mentioned in any future exhibition.
Bye and thanks!

30 Oct 2013     

sarguero
Spain

Previously to the visit, you can motive them using some excerpts of Pictures at an Exhibition by Modest Mussorgsky or the Emerson, Lake and Palmer symphonic rock version too and inspired by this play, they would do their own pictures and then explain what they want to express.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE5r1ZFkdXk

So you can connect Music, Art and English in the same project.

31 Oct 2013     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks So interesting!

31 Oct 2013