Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > 10 English Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes    

10 English Grammar Mistakes That Almost Everyone Makes

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s not a question of offence. The whole thing just comes across as a fairly transparent attempt to lure a lot of English teachers and learners to a site which sells language-related software. The blog itself is remarkable only for the permanent reminder: "�19.99 BUY NOW" and the offer of a free trial - above every article. Otherwise, it �s just a mashup of any of hundreds of similar blogs you �ll find on the Internet (just google "10 common grammar mistakes" and you �ll find the same recycled �advice � - usually having very little to do with actual grammar). 

We know that Jenny, the presumed writer of the blog, doesn �t "intend to engage in any further discussions", but how does her colleague daniel84, who made the initial post, feel about this?

15 Nov 2013     

blunderbuster
Germany

Check this: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/whoever-or-whomever

Grammar Girl has nice podcasts on many subjects.

15 Nov 2013     

almaz
United Kingdom

I agree, blunderbuster. Mignon Fogarty is definitely one of the better non-academic language pundits. In fact, most of the second-rate �experts � you find on the interwebs tend to borrow themes quite liberally from podcasts/websites like Grammar Girl �s - but, revealingly, lack the same rigour and attention to detail (who could I possibly mean?).

15 Nov 2013     

Jayho
Australia

I read the blog and thought well, it�s nothing new.  This info has been around on the internet in one form or another (as well as books) for donkey�s years.  But, I thought it might be useful to others, especially with the videos.

Also, as Lynne said, some of the examples are rarley used today.  Whom is just about obsolete (as is may in many situations).  Well, at least in my neck of the woods.  Stating most are definitely a result of pure ignorance and that it is a mistake that almost everyone makes is a bit far fetched when it is the language of yesteryear. I don�t know any NS teacher in my country who teaches �whom� for everyday conversation.

I must say, I am disappointed to hear that the poster and the author have no points at all and that their website does indeed sell software.  And yes, there is a banner promoting software right at the top of the article. I am now inclined to think that this is a marketing ploy rather than just sharing.

However, I did have a browse through the website and saw an interesting article about Frisian, my father�s native language, being the closest language to English.  So, the website does have merit and I�m glad I did have a bit of a gander at it (but I won�t be purchasing anything).

Cheers

Jayho

15 Nov 2013     

Peter Hardy
Australia

I get annoyed with posts as from Daniel84 and Jenny Collins, too. No contributions, and only trying to sell. Of course they didn �t bother to read the rules, which includes a Non-Selling clause. What �s next? More spam? On the bright site, without points they won �t be stealing our work. Sorry we have to endure this before their accounts are closed, I guess. And I like Grammar Girl, too. It �s for free and funny as well.

15 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I feel mildly annoyed that someone is called �Grammar Girl � and it �s not me. I �ll just have to settle for being �Glamour Girl. � Wink

16 Nov 2013     

joy2bill
Australia

I think it �s a case of �buyer beware �. We have the choice whether we want to purchase or not. I agree with Jayho and others that the examples are really quite irrelevant nowadays and so most up-to-date teachers would see this posting for what it is and ignore it.
Having said that we do believe in �freedom in speech � on this site don �t we?

16 Nov 2013     

< Previous   1    2