Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is the English equivalent?    

What is the English equivalent?

zvonka.rink
Slovenia

What is the English equivalent?

Dear colleagues,

I would like to ask you for help- especially the native speakers.

Namely, I need an English expression for the "classes" that don �t take place at school but out in nature or elsewhere. In Slovenia such activities take usually a week, students are taken to a place (town, village, somewhere in nature) and they stay in a hostel or some other accommodation together with some teachers and other educators. They have outdoor activities such as hiking, skiing, exploring nature, etc. We call such classes "School in Nature" and I found the expression Outdoor Education on the Internet. Do you think this is the right expression for what I have in mind?

I would be really  grateful  for any suggestions or ideas.
Thank you in advance.

20 Nov 2013      

Doot
Canada

Field trip or school or class trip?  Outdoor Education is probably considered more of a course in school.

20 Nov 2013     

SassieJassie
United States

Personally I would call it "English in Action" I do outings with my students all the time and have lessons just walking down the streets of Cairo, Egypt. I shout out "English in Action" and point out new words such as grafitti, vandalism, or even have the students teach others from their own specialties vocab. For example Engineers will point out the things they know, and tour guides will point out the things most Egyptians don �t think about because it is their normal. They think about the things in Arabic first, but on "English in Action" outings we share our own personality and specialties with what we see around us. Plus it gives the students the confidence to speak about what they know and express their opinions on new things (in English instead of Arabic). 

21 Nov 2013     

FrauSue
France

School trip or residential (trip). We went on a residential is acceptable (in UK English).

22 Nov 2013