Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tenses    

Tenses

MarionG
Netherlands

I don �t know but in my world, sadly, is is usually the other way around, past - present - and presumably - future....Cry

24 Nov 2013     

anaram
Spain

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and comments. I used "he" on purpose, to make it sound familiar, (at least the sound of it).

When I do "correct the mistakes" I use some of the kind "he is nurse" in order to get the article "a", but I still get answers like "he is doctor"

Regarding my clumsy sentence, I �m glad nobody in the forum came up with

"I �m sleeping while he cleans the house"

I marked it wrong. I think if we �re referring to a habit, both verbs should be in prensent simple and I cannot be referring to an action in progress because if I �m sleeping I can �t be speaking. But, anyway, if anybody can justify this answer, please let me know before I hand the tests back. I always feel bad when I realise the was no context to help choose an answer.

Thanks again and have a nice Sunday

24 Nov 2013     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Anaram, as you say, you can �t be sleeping and making a statement, so that sentence doesn �t make sense. However, if it had been a different verb, I wouldn �t say it was wrong. �I �m partying while he cleans the house. � It sounds fine. 

24 Nov 2013     

pepaflower
Spain

It can only accept both tenses in The past continuos as they are long actions happening at The same time. 

24 Nov 2013     

pepaflower
Spain

Continuous, sorry!!! 

24 Nov 2013     

JuliaKaraban
Russian Federation

I think there are some possible variants:
While I was sleeping, he was cleaning.
While I �m sleeping, he is cleaning (sounds a bit strange, how can I sleep and tell you this information :) )
and maybe one more variant in Future.

24 Nov 2013     

edrodmedina
United States

My suggestion..... hire a maid. Ed

24 Nov 2013     

FrauSue
France

And what about describing a habit in the past? 
While I was sleeping, he would clean the house.
And for me, "I �m sleeping while he cleans the house" is ok! "What are your plans for tomorrow? Oh, nothing much, I �m sleeping while he cleans, that �s about it ..."

24 Nov 2013     

< Previous   1    2