Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Postcards!!    

Postcards!!

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Postcards!!

Hi,

Are postcards used nowadays?

There is a lesson in the student �s book which is about writing postcards.

Why should we teach writing postcards to students?

Regards,
:)

25 Nov 2013      

yanogator
United States

They are certainly fading away, but people still use them, because their friends and relatives enjoy receiving something from another location. Of course, news of the vacation is shared through e-mail and social media, including photographs.

Bruce

25 Nov 2013     

manonski (f)
Canada

I agree with Bruce.

Last year, my students received a postcard from my student teacher and they were so happy to pass it around the classroom and read it.

I also think it �s a nice easy way to get students to practice writing. I often see people here offering postcards exchanges. Why don �t you make it real for your students and have them exchange with another country?

25 Nov 2013     

MoodyMoody
United States

When I went on vacation in September, I brought back filled-out postcards for my students. They loved them! Postcards are quicker and cheaper than letters.

Bruce �s idea of practicing posting on social media is good, too, although I �d have them practice Facebook rather than Twitter or Tumblr, for example. You want to encourage correct writing, and not omitting letters or words as you might with Twitter, or just pictures as Tumblr or Instagram would encourage. I �ve seen references on ESLP to a program called Fakebook that might be useful for that, although I haven �t tried it myself.

25 Nov 2013     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot for replying and your ideas.

25 Nov 2013     

Sharwong
Canada

Postcards are beneficial because they practice

1)  The appropriate writing format for a postcard

2)  Informal register (phrasal verbs, informal greetings and closings, punctuation (! ), shorter sentences )

Sharon

25 Nov 2013     

ellakass
Israel

I used this site for my students. It was really a great project-postcards from all over the world.
http://www.postcrossing.com/

26 Nov 2013     

poowid
France

Thank you for the link Ellakass!

26 Nov 2013