Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > INDUCTIVE GRAMMAR DEGREES OF ADJECTIVES    

INDUCTIVE GRAMMAR DEGREES OF ADJECTIVES

AJFC
Portugal

INDUCTIVE GRAMMAR DEGREES OF ADJECTIVES

Hello, everyone!

I �m doing a master degree in Education and I �m working as a student teacher at a school. My thesis is going to be about inductive grammar. I �m doing my first attempt on next Friday with the degree of adjectives (superlative and comparative), but I �m not sure how to guide the lesson or what materials to produce. I was thinking about a song or a text, but I can �t find any with both degrees and with a reasonable amount of examples. By the way, it is a 9th grade and they �ve already had contact with the degrees. And then how should I proceed with the lesson itself?

I need help!  

Thanks in advance

AJFC

1 Dec 2013      

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

I have recently taught this subject to my pre-intermediate students and I used Petula Clark �s song "My love". The refrain uses both comparative and superlative, it �s got a catchy tune, nice verse and clear language. I have downloaded it from youtube.

1 Dec 2013     

AJFC
Portugal

Thanks for the tip!

But for instance, how would you develop the tasks in an inductive way? Would you tell them exactly what they were supposed to do? E.g.: Look up for and underline all the degrees of adjectives you know. Or would be better to for instance underline one of the sentences and then ask them to underline all the others they can recognise. And then? Would you ask them to say whether it is comparative and superlative and how they are formed? Would you ask first to identify a degree and come up with the rule and then the other degree and its rule? This is a revision, but for instance and if it was an inroduction of the language topic, would the learners be able to get there? I�ve chosen this topic for my thesis, but now I�m getting confused. :s

P.S.: I forgot to say it is a 90-minute lesson. What kind of productive task would you do with the students at the end?

1 Dec 2013     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

scroll down to activities here

If your students are young, there�s no point in using grammar terms IMHO.
You could stress that when we talk about two things/animals or people, we say ...(Giraffe is taller than the lion, etc) and give pictures and examples. 
When we want to talk about what makes one thing/animal or person special among all others we say.... (This is the tallest building in the world, etc.) and give visuals and examples. Then base an activity on that and practice.

1 Dec 2013     

AJFC
Portugal

Thanks, it is going to be very useful. My students are not that young, but I can adapt the activities. :)

2 Dec 2013