Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > new Word of the Day    

new Word of the Day

edrodmedina
United States

new Word of the Day

Thanks Mood for choosing me as the winner of the WOD. The new word is BUMFUZZLE. OK folks and folkettes, let �s see your daffynitions. Remember that we are looking for creative and or funny definitions for the word.Good luck everyone. As an added incentive Victor has offered a free lifetime subscription to ESLprintables. Ed

14 Jan 2014      

MoodyMoody
United States

Ed! Isn �t this a family-friendly website?

Bum: word often used to refer to the buttocks
fuzz: short hair
-le: device referring to a part of the body (e.g., hand, hand-le)

So, you are referring something that removes embarrassing hair in one �s nether regions. How indelicate!  

14 Jan 2014     

steveolevi
Thailand

BUMFUZZLE - a musical instrument similar to an oboe that originated in Bavaria. Its name derives from the sound it makes which is similar to a fading, muffled explosion. The instrument is commonly used in Theatrics and movie making at times toward the end of a particularly violent or action-packed scene.

14 Jan 2014     

alexcure
Poland

- to bumfuzzle = to live like a joyous bum, a good-natured tramp, who behaves a bit like the Fozzie Bear but looks like a poor person with characteristic hair style which resembles the rock band Fuzzhead. People who bumfuzzle might look like a cross between these two images:

15 Jan 2014     

douglas
United States

bum- a tramp (one that doesn �t work and begs for a living)

fuzz- A mass or coating of fine, light fibers, hairs, or particles

Fusel (pronounced foozle)- a German word for cheap wine or poorly/illegally distilled spirits

BUMFUZZLE- the mess of particles, hairs, leaves, etc. found on a person sleeping in an ally after having over-indulged in moonshine 

15 Jan 2014     

teresasimoes
Portugal

Bumfuzzle

To get broke and depressed after paying the taxes and watching the news.

15 Jan 2014     

sarguero
Spain

It �s what my daughter says when she �s eating Nutella with a full mouth

- What are you eating?
- A "bumfuzzle"  (a bun full of hazelnut cream")

15 Jan 2014     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

TO BUMFUZZLE - a compulsive urge (and new addiction) to play ANGRYBIRDS on facebook.

15 Jan 2014     

MarionG
Netherlands

verb: to be lazy and not shave for a few days, tho be a bum and not be bothered by the dark fuzz appearing on your jaw..
example: Hey john, what are your plans for the weekend?
Oh, nothing much. My wife �s out for the weekend so I thought to use the chance to just bumfuzzle , relax in front of the TV, get a sixpack of beer, order some pizzas..

16 Jan 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

I �m really bumfuzzled. I posted the WOD last night and the stamp on the post is 14.1.14. Odd no?
Well the actual meaning of bumfuzzled is:
bum�fuz�zle(bmfzl)
tr.v.bum�fuz�zled, bum�fuz�zling, bum�fuz�zlesChiefly Southern U.S.
To confuse.

[Probably bum- (probably alteration of bamboozle) + fuzzle (perhaps blend of fuddle and fuzzy).]
Hey Mood, my thoughts went along those lines when I first came across the word. Steveo I like your imagination. I did �nt even come close to think in that direction. Doug, it �s always good to read your creative entries. Teresa, I sympathize with you!!!! Jose, I can just picture your little one with a mouthful of Nutella trying to talk. Teresa II, my 2.5yr old  grandson is bumfuzzled with Angry Birds. All great posts. Thanks for sharing. But I can only choose one. And in this case the winner is the Janey come lately... Marion. I can relate totally to your definition. (Hey and really, the 50 bucks you sent me were totally unnecessary, I can not be bought... too cheaply). Ed

16 Jan 2014