Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > WHAT IS THE DIF BETWEEN CASE AND BOX     

WHAT IS THE DIF BETWEEN CASE AND BOX

sebas555
Chile

WHAT IS THE DIF BETWEEN CASE AND BOX

THANKS!!!

1 Oct 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

The short answer - Everything and nothing - English is insane: 
Both a case and a box are different words for container.  We use them in different situations.  For example:

A case of wine - refers to a box of 12 bottles of wine but we call it a case
Pencil case - a container holding pencils with a zip (usually made from material)
Suitcase - refers to a special container that holds our luggage - usually attached to a handle.
A wooden box - wooden container
Cardboard box - usually called a box except for when it contains 12 bottles of wine as mentioned above.
A box of fluffies - means everything is great - and is only a figment of peoples imagination - no one has yet actually found a box of fluffies!

don�t forget to also use the word carton:
A carton of beer - also called a box of beer (as opposed to a box of bears which is something to avoid!)
A carton of smokes (cigarettes) never called a case, box or container - only a carton (why, because English is crazy)

Please note - case can also mean a court case which is a completely different thing altogether.

Are you completely confused now?Wacko English is crazy

1 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

An easy way to remember is a box has four equal sides (usually... ) and that in today�s world, it is usually made of cardboard unless specified.. e.i. a wooden box... whereas a case usually doesn�t have to have four sides that are equal: i.e. a suitcase, briefcase, etc... also a case often has something, a device of some sort, to help it open or close.. like latches or hinges.

Also certain things are just sold in "cases" -  here usually a case refers to a box of some sort with a set number of objects inside: i.e. a case of wine, a case of soup tins, a case of toothpaste..

1 Oct 2008     

feenanou
France

Well, many thanks to Vicki for her answer... That was fun !

1 Oct 2008     

sebas555
Chile

VICKI AND ZORA   MANY THANKS FOR YOUR EXPLANATIONS!

SEBAS

1 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear , Zora - f
Canada

And ,
Vickiii
Chile

Why don�t we say simply that a case is any container of any size that has a means so as tohelp holding it such as handles and/or some kind of holes. A box is any container that has the shape of a parallelogram (6 rectangular or square sides) without any means so as to help hold it as for a case.

What do you think?

1 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Wow - thank you for reading and responding sebas - it is really refreshing to see people come back to their discussion threads and thank people and give them feedback on their answers.  I really appreciate it.

Hmmm - i do like this goodnesses.  Even a case of wine has holes in the box for handles.  Let me ponder for a moment.... by jingoes I think you have it!  I am going to ask multitudes of people over the next few days if they can think of a box with a handle attached or a case without a handle.....

Well done!Thumbs Up

2 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Yes and no... the problem with goodnesses� idea with "case" is that if we are refering to "things we buy or sell" -  it�s not quite the way you have defined it... although for other things it works fine.

See - My parents had a store as I was growing up and a case of "whatever" .. (food, wine, shampoo, etc...) can sometimes be just a cardboard "box" without any handles on the sides or holes for gripping.  Also a box of really good wine can come in a wooden box with no handles at all... -  that�s why I specified with the "a case refers to a box of some sort with a set number of objects inside: i.e. a case of wine, a case of soup tins, a case of toothpaste... "

I�m afraid, it�s just one of those things. It�s a "business" term, I guess and it�s just that way...

2 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Ok , Zora - f
Canada
First nice to hear from you again and happy to know you are always to contribute in good, intersting and productive discussions. (Hope the adj. are in the correct order)

Well, what if we add that a "case" may or may not have an "open" upper side whereas a "box" always has an upper side that is "opening/shutting".
And, What if we say that a "case" can contain "boxes" but a "box" cannot. ("Case of shampoo", I imagine a container with many boxes in it, each box containing a one tube or flask of shampoo. As with "case of wine" it is a container containing many containers=bottles)

2 Oct 2008     

Zora
Canada

Big smile.. somehow... I think we have just complicated things here.. as you could have a box of things for storage that is full of tinier boxes!!... I know, I might sound asinine here... but I am thinking like my pesky students, right now...and if they can find a loophole in the logic they will. Wink

Box - cardboard item (usually) with 4 sides used for putting things in or for storage.

Case - object similar to a box, may or may not have latches or hinges, and used in the transportation or selling of goods.

Yes??

2 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Zora - f
Canada

I think you get it. I think it is the most simple way to explain it.
That is , a "box" is more for conservation and protection purpose while a "case" is more for transportation.

2 Oct 2008     

1    2    Next >