Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Stress before leaving a post    

Stress before leaving a post

carinita
Argentina

Stress before leaving a post

At present I`m working in two different places and I�m about to quit one of the posts. I�ve been offered a new position as a tutor as well. I�m starting as a tutor in March or April.
You can read previous posts in this forum where I describe my situation at the institution I�m about to leave:
-I cannot tackle misbehaviour problem.
-Some students are violent against their fellow students (verbal and physical aggression)
-A student that hasn�t been identified stole my Neo mp3 player (a small and portable one) during a listening lesson last November
-I could mention other matters but it would be unethical to write about them here.
I�ve been reading some articles and I can identify signs which indicate that I should leave
These signs are:
-Lack of passion
-My job is making me sick
-I�m surrounded by egregious behavior (in the classroom)�(also harassing behavior)
- Time passes VERY slowly when I�m at work
- I commute for about 3 hours twice a week and I�m tired
- I have the gut feeling that I might need to quit for one reason or another
- I feel anxious or unhappy just THINKING about work
- I sometimes feel my job is not appreciated and, this, in turn, brings a feeling of stagnation
Everything said I�m stressed and worried about the process of leaving. Some authorities,co-workers and students have been very kind to me. I don�t know� I feel like a traitor At the same time�my health is first �What worries me most is that school year starts on March 5 and I won�t be able to leave my position on March 4 unless I�m sure the tutor position is available for me (I can�t afford to lose my salary one month)
P.s. I�m also afraid that as soon as I start attending school, inertia will get me and I just won�t leave Dead Stern Smile

4 Feb 2014      

you_per7
Algeria

My sister carinita

I hope you are ok.
let me tell you that many teachers have the same problems as yours. Here we consider these kind of classes as a laboratory where the teacher can be a father, a mother, a psychologist, as well as a head master. playing different roles is not an easy task but if all staff are aware of these problems, they can think deeply  about solutions....
calling parrents will be useful
talking with troubles maker(s) during the break will  show them your real personality...so they will respect you and avoid making silly things in the class.

field trips will help you to know about them .... they will appreciate your endeavours too.
why not watching a movie about verbal and physical aggression in schools.

I am saying these because u may have the same problems in another school.....
My advice is not to leave the school unless the adminstration  is not interested at all.

4 Feb 2014     

Evean
Canada

Hi
I �ve read that you have some serious problems that have been there for months.
even if I do understand that teaching can be hard and that we shouldn �t give up on "difficult" kids, I do think that you should quit. 
You are unhappy, and it �s hard to have a "happy classroom" when the leader of it is unhappy. You only have one life and you should try to make an happy one. also, you have only 1 "mental health" and you should try to stay well. Staying and feeling depressed or stressed might lead you to a burnout or a depression which are hard to cure and can take years. 
It is not you. Sometimes it �s the setting : the children and you aren �t working well, maybe an other teacher would have more affinities with them, and maybe you will go to another classroom even more difficult and have no real problem. Sometimes, it doesn �t work out and there �s no point in making it last or looking for someone to blame.

you are right, you should be passinate about your work and be happy to be there. You have the right to. We chose a difficult job with very few thanks. we deserve to be happy and to feel safe.

I hope that you can figure it out and that you will be happy

eve

4 Feb 2014     

Zora
Canada

Hello Carinita,

I think in your heart, you already know what you want. I think that you just need somebody to say that it �s OK to choose yourself over others.

I agree with Eve. Your health and peace of mind is much more important than staying behind at a job you don �t really enjoy anymore and that is making you ill. If I were you, I �d accept the other job and give your notice this week. Take a week (or a few days off), clear your mind, rest up and get ready for better things.

Take care my friend, you only have one life and it �s not worth wasting on negative things.

Hugs,

Linda

4 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Carinita - You will be far better off if you leave a place that is making you miserable. I have been there myself. I have never regretted leaving a job I did not like. I have regretted hanging on too long to a job which made me unhappy. Do it; be brave, leave. Something else will come up. You are right, your health comes first. 

4 Feb 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Thanks, people! Excellent words (from everyone)
Best wishes for your careers and lives! A good year for you and me then LOL (I feel optimistic again) Hugs Hug

4 Feb 2014     

olaola
Italy

...the same happened to me in 2001 when I started teaching...Of course I got a job in one of the most difficoult school of my area because I was the youngest... students were crazy and violent to each other and I remember I felt exactly as you feel now...but the other teachers were as young and as inexperienced as me and we didn �t give up, we worked hard and things went better... can you believe me? I am still there!!!
I don �t know it my story can help you... I just wanted to tell you not to give up, teaching is always a hard work, I am sure we will choose for the best
good luck
Olaola
(Tiziana)

4 Feb 2014     

carinita
Argentina

Congratulations, Tiziana I believe team work is great However, every person and experience is unique It`s not so simple to take decisions and what can work for some may not work for others

4 Feb 2014