Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > New WORD-OF-THE-DAY contest    

New WORD-OF-THE-DAY contest

isa2
Austria

New WORD-OF-THE-DAY contest

Hi everybody,

I feel honoured to have won the last round.
So I �ll post a new word for you to speculate about. I�m eagerly waiting to read your  ingenious posts.

Here you are:

GNATHONIC

Please let your imagination go and give us all a LOL or make us admire your wit.

P.S: For new participants: please do not provide the real definition, but make up one of your own.

18 Feb 2014      

alex076
Italy

It �s of course: 
GNAT = mosquito
HON = short for honey
I.C. = intensive care
A hospital where mosquitoes are healed with honey therapies Wink

18 Feb 2014     

alexcure
Poland

Gnathonic is nothing else but a tonic from Ghana, gna = short form of Ghana, and thonic = aspirated, African version of tonic, you must try it, it �s yummy!

18 Feb 2014     

maryse pey�
France

A GNAT is some hybrid between a gnu and a cat having a HOrn as a mnemoNIC means to remember the necessary information about its "animalistic" roots. That �s why to be GNATHONIC means physically looking like a GNAT due to the fact that your nose looks like a gnat �s HOrn and that you cannot forget this particularity and become obsessed with...

18 Feb 2014     

oumsalsabil
Algeria

Does your mouth water when you think of honey? What will happen if you don �t stop thinking about it ?  Sure saliva will fill your mouth untill it reaches the gnathion (this is the most inferior point of the lower jaw).  Then ,when you swallow it, you will have ,what is known in psychophysiology ,a gnathonic taste: the honey-like taste of saliva secreted by the salivary glands located beneath the lower jaw.LOL

18 Feb 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Gnathonic refers to the tendency of nurses in the Southern USA to refer to their patients by "hon," "darlin �" [nod to You per 7 �s post above], "sweetie," or other such terms of affection.

GNA: Georgia (USA) Nurses � Association
hon: pet name, short for honey
-ic: adjectival suffix

If Southern waitresses had a similar association, we would also have the related term gwathonic, because waitresses say "hon" even more than nurses do. Sadly, servers in the USA rarely join unions or associations, so we are bereft of gwathonia.

18 Feb 2014     

edrodmedina
United States

When I was a little lad in Brooklyn NY we would often go to Coney Island. There we would see side shows much like one would see at a carnival. I always marvelved at the flea circus and the lesser known but just as impressive, it not more so, gnathonic. I now know that it was cruel and PETA probably would have had it banned but I never got enough of the tiny, wingless gnats playing miniture instruments which reminded one of the Philadelphia Philharmonic.

18 Feb 2014     

sarguero
Spain

GNATHONIC

This is what you say when you have your mouth full of pancake and try to drink a gin and tonic at the same time.
So next time someone ask you: "What are you drinking?" be sure you �ve finished your eating.

19 Feb 2014