Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > exhibition vocabulary    

exhibition vocabulary

ELOJOLIE274
France

exhibition vocabulary

hi,
I need your help...

I want to talk about an exhibition, especially about the "works of art" that compose this exhibition, but i �d like another word to talk about them, can I say "exhibition pieces"?

moreover, what �s the difference between "exhibition" and "exhibit"? is one more formal than the other?

thanks a lot :)

22 Feb 2014      

titine69
France

See the explanation here for the 2 words http://grammarist.com/usage/exhibit-exhibition/:
Elojolie,is it  a trick question or a tricky question?Wink
I �m sure the native speakers will help you .

Titine

22 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Well I haven �t checked the link Titine gives, but here �s what I think. The exhibition is the whole show, the collection: �l �exposition �. The exhibits are the individual pieces. So you can say �the pieces � and �the exhibits �. 

22 Feb 2014     

titine69
France

You �re perfectly right,Lynne.Here is what the link says:

The difference between exhibit and exhibition is a matter of scale. An exhibit is a public showing of an object�usually a work of art or an object meant to educate�or a small collection of objects. An exhibition is a public showing of a large selection of such items, often united by a theme. For example, a fossilized dinosaur skeleton in the lobby of a museum is an exhibit, and a collection of dinosaur skeletons in a wing of the museum might be called an exhibition.

22 Feb 2014     

ELOJOLIE274
France

okay so an exhibition is composed of several exhibits/pieces!

I knew I would find help here! thank you so much for answering this tricky question!

22 Feb 2014