Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > how can I get in touch with a moderator    

how can I get in touch with a moderator

cunliffe
United Kingdom

All this time, I �ve been thinking we can �t use copyrighted images as this may close the site down! Well, well, well.... LOL

24 Feb 2014     

David Lisgo
Japan

Fair use is far more complex and restrictive than anyone in this group would care to admit. Even if it is fair use in a worksheet, where does it say we can actually share that worksheet with the rest of the world?

I �m not a lawyer but I will stick to the rules of this site as well as report worksheets that don �t and go by them rather than some airy fairy "fair use" policy, though I �m not about to start reporting every worksheet that is illegal in the true sense.

Here is something to bore you: http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/academic-and-educational-permissions/non-coursepack/#educational_fair_use_guidelines

None of my worksheets claim to be "fair use".

Jayho thank you for your input on this topic; I am your student.

24 Feb 2014     

cunliffe
United Kingdom

I think Tanja is feeling rightly aggrieved and I hope to see her re-uploading her worksheets.  It looks like the materials she put on here are acceptable. Friends, let �s remember: None of this is personal and we are all here to do the best for students by sharing our resources with each other. 

24 Feb 2014     

dackala
Serbia

I know what you �re talking about. This also happened to me several times, I continued to upload one worksheet several times- vocabulary do and make, but the main problem seemed to be an image- do the washing, it is protected, although, as I understood,it is possible to use the image for non commercial use. However, it was reported and deleted. Then, I �ve put my own scanned images, as they are too awful, my ws doesn �t look so nice as it used to. I couldn �t find nice pictures, and was afraid to put other �s pictures, although free of charge, on my ws, and was too afraid of reporting, as I want to stay a member on this site. For one another ws it was absolutely my fault, as I didn �t understand the rules well, but for this I still don �t quite understand. I know how you feel.

From the previous posts it seems that even moderators don �t agree on this, so how would you expect to know?

I think that is is an issue for an administrator and his team of lawyers or a lawyer to check on it.

Wish you all the best,
Darija

24 Feb 2014     

dackala
Serbia

I know what you �re talking about. This also happened to me several times, I continued to upload one worksheet several times- vocabulary do and make, but the main problem seemed to be an image- do the washing, it is protected, although, as I understood,it is possible to use the image for non commercial use. However, it was reported and deleted. Then, I �ve put my own scanned images, as they are too awful, my ws doesn �t look so nice as it used to. I couldn �t find nice pictures, and was afraid to put other �s pictures, although free of charge, on my ws, and was too afraid of reporting, as I want to stay a member on this site. For one another ws it was absolutely my fault, as I didn �t understand the rules well, but for this I still don �t quite understand. I know how you feel.

From the previous posts it seems that even moderators don �t agree on this, so how would you expect to know?

I think that is is an issue for an administrator and his team of lawyers or a lawyer to check on it.

Wish you all the best,
Darija

24 Feb 2014     

karagozian
France

I quite like Philip �s remark. Let �s relax and be careful with this tricky issue. I would never report a worksheet for this reason. I consider myself far from being an expert at copyright and watermark pictures. Quality, originality are my priority and should be encouraged.

24 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Thank you for the link David

For anyone that is interested, here is the link to the Australian Copyright Council which governs this whole murky area. http://www.copyright.org.au/. We have our own little fact sheet for educational institutions.

At the end of the day, members are responsible for checking the terms of use on the site and following the rules of their country. I don�t know what the rules are for other countries, only for Australia, so I don�t generally vote on these unless they break a different rule here (e.g. taken from an ESL website).

A classic example of an image that is ok to use is Phillip Martin Clip art.  His images all have a URL on them (and sometimes in the image) but in his terms of use he clearly states that they can be used for classroom use.  That�s why it�s important to check the terms of use.

Copyright is not stated in the rules here so really we shouldn�t be reporting it.
Watermarks should be reported.

Cheers

Jayho

24 Feb 2014     

Jayho
Australia

Just to throw another spanner in the works ...

Although it is not covered in the site rules it is actually a reporting code:

It contains copyrighted images from .

Anyone who has reported printables for breach of copyright using this code has done so legitimately.

It would be great if Victor clarified this issue.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Feb 2014     

27 Feb 2014     

< Previous   1    2