Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Peripheral learning - calendar (the weather, clothes, even grammar)    

Peripheral learning - calendar (the weather, clothes, even grammar)

Ivona
Serbia

Peripheral learning - calendar (the weather, clothes, even grammar)

I was rummaging through my files looking for sth and found this picture. The calendar is still on the classroom wall but with up-to-date date Smile. The cards in the pockets were made and written on by the students. (Though the size of the pic does not allow the letters to stand out!)
Anyway, the calendar can be adapted to a grammar poster where the SS can put different verbs into the slots and get sth like: It was [Monday morning] and [Mick] [was] [peeling a banana] when [sth] [happened]. Or you can put If- sentences and get some crazy ones depending on the mood of the students who change the cards before, during or at the end of class to get different sentences.
The poster is a good example of peripheral learning.

Lol! I don�t know why the pic doesn�t show on the message board, but if you click on "post an answer" you�ll be able to see it. And if you can�t, then ... alas!

6 Feb 2009      

alien boy
Japan

Hi Ivona,

what a great idea!

I�ve copied your info & the picture so I can make up a poster for the start of the new school year (that�s April in japan).
When I copied the picture & pasted it into Word it was huge! Maybe the picture has dimensions that are too large for the noticeboard to display it properly?

Thanks again.

6 Feb 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

To A.B. When i was uploading the pic, i reduced the size in that window that appeared... Don�t know...
Anyway, when you say you will make the poster, i hope you mean just the pockets. The point is to get the students to write on the cards. Magazine pictures are always a great help when the ss can�t draw well. :)

To those who asked me in private messages about peripheral learning - it�s when a student learns from what is present in the environment, even if his attention is not directed to it. Most often from posters.

6 Feb 2009     

mrlypy
Brazil

really great ideas, I downloaded it and I �m going to addapt it to my classroom, thanks

6 Mar 2009