Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Frustration?    

Frustration?

Lidiana73
Australia

I have to say I thought it was only in Italy that this occurred. I am a native speaker having grown up in Australia, and doing all my studies there. I have a four year teaching degree that would allow me to teach in any school in Australia. Here in Italy I have to go through an "evaluation process" to be able to teach in the state system. So I teach at a fantastic private school that hires ONLY mother tongue English teachers. We do outside courses and have found myself dealing with english teachers that can barely put a sentence together. Recently my colleague and I were teaching 6 year olds body parts and used the famous "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" song. The teacher did not know what shoulders was in English and I am seeing this in all the schools I do courses at. Many parents are now sending their children to us because they know they will get a better English Education. If the system does not change we will have a generation of kids taught badly barely able to put a sentence together and not being able to find work because of poor english.

6 Feb 2009     

trelly
Argentina

I�ve uploaded the article from the Teachers� Magazine here in case you are interested in reading it.

While reading the replies I was thinking how fortunate students are to have ESLPrintables� teachers with them :)

Thanks for your words! I think my feelings were kind of a mixture of those a teacher who works since 2003 at different levels and tries to explain mistakes to her students and those of a student who was finishing her course of studies in one city and, because of different regulations, has to almost start her course of studies again after moving to another city.

6 Feb 2009     

libertybelle
United States

There are so many good replies to your message that there�s really not much more to say.
But I would like to add 3 things.

One is that so many countries around the world underestimate how important good education is. They don�t see past their noses and are so short-sighted that they don�t see that a good education today will affect the world tomorrow. Can you imagine the future world leaders being thugs and illiterates?  I shudder at the thought!

Two is that more and more people today have little self awareness.
This "instant gratification" (I want it now, not later) means that fewer and fewer people want to work hard to get anywhere. (think how long many musicians worked before they got their big break, and now people become stars over night on all these talent shows. )

I�ve met many people who enroll in courses they never should have even considered!!
I enrolled in an advanced music course for teachers who play piano well, read music, arrange music and are choir conductors and half of the people who enrolled couldn�t even read notes!

And third - that school you are applying for should have much stricter rules about who gets in and who doesn�t.
The whole level of teaching always ends with the lowest common denominator, not the highest - unfortunately.

6 Feb 2009     

cintyamaria
Brazil

Well, I also can say that I do understand what you mean. We have the same problem in Brazil. But please, don�t get depressed. We need people like you! We need teachers who are motivated and interested in doing their best . Don�t give up! I know that sometimes it might be difficult but remember that your students are the most important thing!

Good luck!!!

6 Feb 2009     

< Previous   1    2