Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Differentiation of work in class?    

Differentiation of work in class?

izulia
China

Differentiation of work in class?

Hello,
I am here to ask for your help again, please bare with the length of my post.
In my new class I have 10 students (12-15 year olds) with three distinguished levels: beginners (with VERY-VERY limited English), elementary and lower pre-intermidiate. 

The bottom group basically requires constant support as they cannot work by themselves at all simply because they �re unable to read yet. The top group needs challenging work that has to be FUN as well otherwise they get bored too soon. At the moment I prepare three lots of work for each lesson a day (I have them 3-4 times a day) and it seems exhausting. I simply cannot talk to the whole class cause some of them don �t understand what I am saying and some of them go bananas because they need challenging work. Discipline is the major issue in this class where kids throw chairs, storm out of the classroom, etc. if they are unhappy... 

I don �t want to sound that I am here just to complain, my question is: Is there any other way to work in this circumstances? Or do I always have to prepare 3 lots of work for each class? I have to follow the English course for Grade 7 in Chinese schools, so there is no much room for fun projects. Pairing up top and bottom abilities kids didn �t really work because of the discipline issues.
ANY IDEAS PLEASE??? Maybe something involved the outdoor lessons?

11 Mar 2014      

you_per7
Algeria

It is not an easy task.
you should work with the elementary.....
save your energy....because such group of pupils should be separated into three classes.

11 Mar 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

Izulia, this sounds like an impossible job!
No idea how you can survive.

Can you make groups learn poems or rhymes by heart from time to time? That won �t take much of your attention. 
Can you motivate your students by giving them points or merits or something like that for concentrated work? Can the best people be occasionally paired up with the beginners to help them?

Can you prepare worksheets for all three groups and add little sheets with hints, helping ideas, support for the beginners that the other groups don�t see? our new textbooks have that sort of thing: a task and some help underneath for those who need it.

Apart from these probably usless ideas I fell helpless...

11 Mar 2014     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

maybe some ideas here will help you

11 Mar 2014     

MoodyMoody
United States

Have you tried pairing your high and middle students? There �s less of a gap there, so that might work a little better. Your idea of going outside sounds good, too; it might help your kinesthetic learners a bit. If nothing else, you might burn off a little of their excess energy! 

I agree with you per7; I think most of your energy should go to the middle level and try to adapt the lessons up for your top students and down for your true beginners. As an example, let �s say that you need to teach present continuous. You teach the lesson as planned to the middle group, you concentrate on the letters and phonics with your beginners, and ask your top group to make questions and make sentences negative. Bring the class together with charades. You might accept different answers as correct: beginners only need the correct verb, middle group needs a complete sentence with present continuous, and the top group may need to ask a question or include an adverb of frequency.

If you have to teach the three levels of students from different curricula, you have a bigger problem because you will continue to need three different lessons.

You may need to take elderberrywine �s suggestion of rewards for good behavior. You might even explain the situation to your class and ask for their suggestions as to what to do. Perhaps the class can draw up a behavior contract that they are willing to live up to. They �re teenagers, not kindergarteners. It won �t hurt for them to start disciplining themselves.

I �m in a similar but not as extreme situation; only two levels with adults, and they have overlapping but different curricula. I try to make sure that both groups have work to do, but I don �t mind if they listen in on the other class �s lesson. I also teach together whenever possible.

If all else fails, talk to your boss and explain what you �ve already tried. Maybe you can get some separate time with your beginners. Good luck!

11 Mar 2014     

izulia
China

Thank you so much for your support and ideas. I will see what I can do. Will come to the forum with more questions too, I guess. Have a lovely teaching day wherever you teach! :)

11 Mar 2014     

alien boy
Japan

HI izulia,
I hope the students � behaviour shows some rapid improvement!
When I teach my older elementary students, I also have quite large level differences from practically illiterate to practically native levels.
This is a common approach that I use:
- provide a reading
- the students have a certain nominated time to read to themselves.
      + the weaker students are tasked with marking words that they recognise
      + the stronger students are tasked with marking words they don �t know
- I read it out loud, for everyone to follow
      + they can make pronunciation notes on their papers
- The students then read it out loud
      + you can get the better students to start reading & have the others repeat, while
         you provide correction where necessary
- Then we work through a translation, phrase by phrase.
       + make sure that the students take notes on the meaning of the words, phrases &
          sentences
- I usually have a pre made list of vocabulary for the students to use
- I also provide some follow up work for the students based on the purpose of the reading.
       + this could be vocabulry or grammar based, or even both.
       + provide clear examples the weaker students can model their work on
       + advise & encourage the better students to use more complex thought & expression

This is just a short example.
I believe very much in KISS, so you can devote more time to your students & less time to supervising them!

Cheers,
AB

12 Mar 2014