Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > New Word of the Day!    

New Word of the Day!

MoodyMoody
United States

New Word of the Day!

Thank you, cunliffe, for picking my definition of sesquipedalian. Here �s another sesquipedalian (long) word for you word fiends to find a "daffynition" for:

TRAGEMATOPOLIST.

Anyone who gives the correct definition (besides me when I pick a winner) will be required to type: "I will play Word of the Day by the rules" five times and will be automatically disqualified. We want a good FAKE definition!

I �ll pick a winner tomorrow evening server time, or whenever I get enough "daffynitions" to have a good selection. Happy defining, everyone!

11 Mar 2014      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

The Land where the art and theory of writing and producing tragedies was born.

11 Mar 2014     

isa2
Austria

It �s a tragedian (TRAGE) living in urban areas (POLIS) in the Mato Grosso (MATO).

11 Mar 2014     

Matthew@ELSP
Japan

It �s a person who makes maps of areas appearing in Shakespear �s tragedy plays, isn �t it? Tragedy + Topology? No?

12 Mar 2014     

sarguero
Spain

Tragematopolist was the name of a martian colony that the jupiterians set long time ago before they colonized the planet Earth. Due to the poor martian atmosphere and the bacterias, the first jupiterians didn �t live a long life and it became a tragedy for Jupiter �s goverment.

This is the reason why of such a name.

12 Mar 2014     

lady-of-roses
Morocco

It �s someone who is specialized in the study or criticism of ancient tragedies.

12 Mar 2014     

elderberrywine
Germany

It �s a title or degree you can buy from several European and South American universities.

You get a diploma proving you are a "trage... " (you know what I mean), you have the right to print this title on your business cards and letterheads, you can present yourself by saying: "David Lisgo, tragematopolist" or talk of the old days when you studied tragematopology in Paris, Milan or Asuncion. Lies, nothing but lies!
Only very few people will see right through you and know there is NOTHING behind this degree. Rien. Nada. Hot air.

A tragematopolist is somebody who was too rich and lazy to attend university and acquire a degree through hard work and who trusts this title he bought with money will sound as least as impressive as many real titles and degrees.
Maybe this name was chosen because there is something tragic about the whole thing, but maybe that �s not the case.

13 Mar 2014