Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A dream job...    

A dream job...

izulia
China

A dream job...

Hi everybody,
Have you ever had this feeling, like you just had enough of teaching or doing the wrong job? I have been teaching for 12 years and have had some great experiences. 
Unfortunately since January I �ve had a class of extremely disruptive teenagers that made me think, am I actually in the right place? I suddenly remembered that when I was a kid I always wanted to be involved in all sorts of art and craft activities. It gave me enormous pleasure in making things with my own hands. But my beloved parents thought of a better plan for me and eventually I ended up teaching. 
I wonder if this is a reaction to a very stressful time that I am having with my class right now or should I actually follow my childhood dream? Obviously I would have to figure out how I can earn money by doing art and craft and it could be not as well paid, but I would do something satisfying... 
I would appreciate your thoughts about this. I also wonder if any of you have ever had another dream job except for teaching? 

5 Apr 2014      

cunliffe
United Kingdom

Hi izulia,
I think we all feel like this from time to time. A class of disruptive teenagers can get anybody down. Have you thought of different approaches with them? Remember - the class is the problem, not your job in general. 
My dad thought teaching was a wonderful job and this did influence me. I �ve been successful to a certain extent, but starting over, I would be a journalist. I �m very nosy, always poking my nose into other people �s business, so I would have been great. Or a detective....
Most of all, Izulia, don �t let them get you down. 

5 Apr 2014     

s.lefevre
Brazil

Why don�t you practice your handcraft as a hobby? You go on teaching and you use your free time for your dream activity. Then you see if you really like it and if there is a possibility to sell your products so that you can make a living. I have a friend who started making artistic jewelry (silver or wood with Brazilian stones or seeds). At first she sold them to her friends, after that to the friends of the friends and now she is a well known designer. Don�t give up your dream, but be sure that this is what you want.  

5 Apr 2014     

douglas
United States

Perhaps you could consider teaching younger children and integrate the crafts into your teaching.

In the end, it �s more of a psychological thing--it depends on how much the thoughts are keeping you down as to whether you should move on.  But, as Cunliffe said, a rough group can get anybody down.

IMHO: Everybody gets these kinds of thoughts once in a while, but the severity and necessity to change things is a very personal thing that they must decide for themselves. It �s hard (and scary) to make such a big change, but if it is healthyier for you in the long run you won �t regret doing it. There is a saying that goes something like: "the only regrets I have in life are not taking the opportunities that came to me and not listening to my heart." 

Cheers,
Douglas   

5 Apr 2014     

izulia
China

Thank you guys for your ideas and support! 

5 Apr 2014